UEAWFC gain ‘revenge’ on Nottingham Trent

After a 4-3 defeat earlier this season, UEAWFC get their ‘revenge’ on Nottingham Trent.

UEAWFC defeated their Nottingham Trent counterparts 3-1 in dire weather conditions to avenge a 4-3 defeat earlier in the season.

In a game dominated by the windy weather, UEAWFC went 1-0 up early on when the ball fell to Emily McNamara in space outside the box and the striker looped the ball in over the Nottingham Trent goalkeeper. UEAWFC started the better of the teams, and were dominating their opposition on the pitch and keeping the possession well. Sammy Algar and Amelia Glean were spraying passes far and wide all over the pitch, and were in control of the midfield. The UEA defence looked sound, and were determined to keep the Trent strikers far from the goal.

UEAWFC look happy with their win (and freezing…).

As it was, whenever the UEAWFC goal was threatened keeper Becky White was in control, and at one point she pulled off a great diving save. Abbi Knell always looked dangerous on the ball, and she got herself on the scoresheet with a well-taken goal, driving in from the left-hand side to place the ball in the bottom-right hand corner, giving the Trent goalkeeper no chance. Both teams were probably happy for the break, the Trent team to regroup and UEAWFC to try and warm themselves up.

It seemed as though the weather did get to the Yellows in the second half, as Trent dominated almost all of the second half. They seemed to get their shape together, and the wind was this time in their favour, making it very difficult for UEA to get the ball out of dangerous areas when it did fall to them. Often when kicked up the other end of the pitch, it would be back down to UEA’s defensive end again soon after.

The defence held firm during many Trent onslaughts, and some dubious decisions from the referee. However, the UEAWFC goal was breached after the Trent centre midfielder’s hopeful shot caught the wind and evaded White’s outstretched hands. Soon after, from a similar position, White pulled off a great save to keep the scoreline in UEA’s favour. The Trent goal made for a nervy finish to the game, with the two late goals they conceded in this reverse fixture fresh in the Yellows’ minds. It would have been easy to sit back and allow Trent the chance to gain the advantage, however, they managed to find their feet again and gained some more of the ball.

Making the most of this, Knell broke from the left whilst the Trent defence were keeping a high-line, and the ball fell kindly to McNamara after a Trent defender had stuck a leg out. The UEA striker carried it further before shooting to the ‘keepers right, all the girls of UEAWFC would have been happy and somewhat relieved to see the net ripple with the goal.

UEA could have put the game even further out of reach a little later when Knell once more went on an incisive run shooting wide, when perhaps she should have squared to Emily McNamara who would have been in the easier position to finish. As it was the last goal had made the game safe for UEA, and unlike last time there was no time for Trent to perform another ‘Great Escape’.

A great and well-deserved result for the Yellows sees them climb the table and they look forward to next week’s game. Hopefully with warmer weather!