Men’s Volleyball put Bedford to bed

A resounding victory for the UEA team as they took on Bedford last Wednesday.

UEA ran out comfortable straight-sets winners on Wednesday, beating Bedford 25-12, 25-10, 25-18.

I lost my volleyball-reporting virginity (and line-judging) watching UEA Men’s defeat their Bedford University counterparts in the BUCs league in straight-sets. In what was an enjoyable, high-tempo game to watch UEA dominated throughout, always pressuring with their front-court play, and defending soundly from the back.

Charlie Douglass was one of the standout players for UEA with consistent serving and setting throughout, causing problems on the other side of the net for the Bedford team.

Sam Murray was an imposing figure in the centre, and showed good hands at the net to score some crucial points for UEA. The team were well organised, and with lots of talk on the court it was clear UEA Volleyball take the game seriously, and put their practice in. And it showed.

The sets seemed to always follow the same pattern with UEA racing into around a 10-point lead before Bedford would go on a scoring charge, albeit collecting most of their points from good defensive work at the net, blocking numerous UEA spikes and getting the luck of where the ball fell.

At times throughout the UEA team possibly became lax because of their lead, however Nick Feeney was soon rallying them, and they were able to stem the tide from Bedford. Invariably it was always too late for the Bedford team to make much of a dent in the points-total the UEA side had already picked up.

The best was certainly saved for last however, with the final decisive set being highly entertaining, and points going back-and-forth. A long point, which showed great defensive work from both sides, was eventually won by Bedford after a mix-up in the middle of the UEA team; however that was to be the highlight for the visitors and the home-side saw the rest of the game, and therefore the match with it, out comfortably.

This Tab writer looks forward to watching again!