UEA London To Close

The city campus is to close after just four years open.

uea uea london

The UEA London campus will stop offering degree courses as of September 2014.

UEA bosses claim the decision is part of a plan ‘to concentrate on delivery of its world class research and exceptional student experience at the Norwich campus.’

UEA London is a joint venture with INTO University Partnerships and has been open for four years.

The London campus, situated near Liverpool Street Station, accounts for just 2% of UEA’s student population, with 325 students in higher education. Of this number, the ‘vast majority’ will have completed their studies by September.

Students left in the lurch will be offered a transferral to the Norwich campus, or helped to continue their studies in London. UEA has said: ‘the university is consulting with staff and students and our first obligation is to those individuals affected.’

Around 35 members of staff, both academic and support, will be affected.

Students have reacted with surprise on Twitter. One called the situation a ‘shambles’, and there was speculation over the university’s finances.

The university is expanding their international profile in other ways, however. They announced recently that a UEA office will be opening in Malaysia, and are developing a new Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) for international students hoping to study in the UK.

Vice-Chancellor Prof Edward Acton said: ‘I wish to thank all UEA London staff who have worked extremely hard and achieved exceptionally high student satisfaction ratings. We have carefully explored all options and taken the decision to focus on delivering our world class teaching and research – and the number one student experience in the country – at our superb Norwich campus.’