UEA student death blamed on NHS failings

Averil Hart died following a battle with anorexia in December last year.

anorexia averil hart NHS

The family of a 19-year-old UEA student who died in December have blamed a catalogue of NHS errors for her death, following the publication of a damning patient report.

Averil Hart, an English Literature with Creative Writing student, died in hospital after a battle with anorexia on December 15th last year.

‘Cheeky and sociable’ Averil Hart. Picture: Daily Telegraph

Averil’s family have now accused NHS bosses of failing to care for her properly, including placing her under the care of a junior trainee psychologist who had no prior experience of treating patients with anorexia. Averil’s care in Norwich was supposed to involve weekly weight checks and mental health assessments. According to Averil’s family, although the psychologist saw her six times week, he failed to notice she was rapidly losing weight, and she was weighed just three times in a ten month period.

They also believe the NHS may have tampered with her records, possibly as part of a cover-up.

Averil had battled the illness before moving to university, and her parents were assured she’d have the best care whilst on campus. Her father, Nicholas, and sister Imogen visited her last November, and on seeing her deteriorating condition consulted Averil’s home doctor in Colchester. Her doctor apparently promised to send an NHS consultant to check on Averil but nothing was done.

Averil was found unconscious in the kitchen in her flat some weeks later by a university cleaner, having become too weak to stand. She was admitted to hospital where she slipped into a coma, and she died on December 15th.

The UEA medical centre, where Averil was treated.

Her case is included in the Patient Association report on poor NHS care, released today.

Averil’s family are now calling for an independent enquiry into her death.

The University of East Anglia medical service today said it could not comment on individual cases.