UEAFC through to next round

UEAFC 1st XI got back to winning ways with what turned into a comfortable 4-0 victory in the BUCs regional cup against Leicester University.

A scrappy yet compact first-45 saw UEA have the better chances without being able to make that all-important breakthrough. Eliot Altay went closest with a powerful header from a free kick, and Perry Richards was creating numerous opportunities from the left-hand side, always having the beating of the Leicester right-back.

UEA defending a free kick

The ‘Yellows’ number 8 ‘Tino’ was controlling the middle of the park in UEA’s attack-minded 4-3-2-1 formation. As it was though, Leicester’s defense held firm, and they were able to get up the pitch themselves at times, albeit with nothing really to show for it. UEA’s back-four and ‘keeper Kavi Luchowa with no real scares to deal with.

It was a slightly scrappy game at times, with tackles being thrown in by both teams. Twice there were stoppages for injuries. The final ball seemed to be eluding both sides after good build-up play, with UEA perhaps opting for the long ball one too many times.

It was a different story in the second half, helped by a swap of wingers-Perry Richards moving on to the right, with Stef Pachnis taking his place on the left. This seemed to spark the ‘Yellows’ into life, and they soon had something to show for it. After good forward play by Richards the ball finally found its way into the back of the net on the third attempt, prodded in by Harry Read. Following this was a fantastic run by defender Charlie Creasy, having intercepted the ball in his own half he kept sprinting, received the return ball and finished well under the oncoming goalkeeper.

Charlie Creasy gets ready to take a free-kick

After they had the two-goal cushion you could see UEA visibly relaxed and began to play their own game. A third goal soon followed-a fantastic cut back and floating finish into the top-left hand corner of the net by right-back Ryan Chapman. UEA’s fourth came from a good finish by Ryan Fletcher, who unfortunately got himself injured in the process. Richards had the chance to cap off his fine performance with a goal after running through, but good tracking back by Leicester’s center-back,  stole it from him.

The ‘Yellows’ played the rest of the game out comfortably, happy to keep a clean sheet and score four well worked goals in nasty conditions at Colney.

On to the next round!