FRESH blood

Jess Howard attends the Birdcage for Fresh Blood, a line up of new Music from Bare Feet Records.

Following  open mic, The birdcage polished it’s stage floor once again last night. Fresh Blood, a line up of new music from Bare Feet Records, promised a night of ‘The finest new music from in the fine city’ and they certainly didn’t disappoint.

Such a lovely picture…

First up was Joseph Quinn, singer and guitarist. His Paolo Nutini-esque vocals spread calm around the audience, as his softly powerful voice filled the room. The short pauses between songs make his music almost continuous, and the audience all focused on him as he sat and sung his hand written music.

Teddy Quick, as the name suggests, livened up the crowd by chatting to the audience and belting out songs about love, as he says most of his songs are. With an amazingly powerful set of hight notes, and a line up of increasing in tempo, the end of his set had the audience were whooping and clapping as he left the stage.

Tom McConnell

Third up was Belfast born Tom McConnell, fresh from playing a set for UEA’s Livewire. Unlike anything ever heard before, his unique combination of looped beat boxing, guitar and vocals had the audience transfixed. Playing a combination of his own songs and mash ups of The Red Hot Chilly Peppers “Can’t Stop” and “Move your feet” by Junior Senior, you’d be a fool not to head down to Bar 11 to hear him perform on the 21st of next month.

Next up was a personal favourite, The B Roads. Playing a set of their own songs, featured on their debut album, their singer/ guitarist combo works better than most. The combination of Sarah’s haunting vocal strength, and intimidating range, next to Sam’s slow deep voice make for something really unique and warming. Any nerves are completely unjustified, and the audience definitely agree.

The B Roads

The final slot went to Space Eagle, who proved that duct tape really does have a thousand uses. Despite the room emptying out a bit by the final slot, the audience are clearly into his own brand of Norwich blues, including a song about a mass murderer deciding he was a vegetarian. A brilliant end to the night, his mid tempo songs were brilliantly played, and he even tried to sell us an amp!

By the end of the evening the audience disbanded and performers were left chatting amongst themselves. The performers may not yet be world famous but they’re definitely worth a look, new Norwich music at its finest!