The Sporting Weekly

The latest sporting news and results brought to you by Marco Bell.

Teams are taking shape, Wednesday socials have made a triumphant return and a full set of BUCS fixtures are almost here. Socials aside the first few weeks are always quiet for sport, with a lot of work going on behind the scenes to establish a new team of players and to allow individuals to settle into their new roles. SportsMart was a real success and UEA will hope to build on what was another encouraging previous year in sport and a memorable Derby Day.

There’s still time 

Just because we are already at week four there is no reason anyone who still wants to get involved with a sports club can’t. Most clubs are still working out what their full strength side is and have room for those who couldn’t make earlier sessions.

Of course there is no pressure to play at a highly competitive level either. Almost all clubs run beginner classes, some particularly useful and accommodating, and weekly, more casual competitions can be found too.

The Results

Just the one fixture last Wednesday and UEA Rugby Men’s 1st’s look like their going to make a big splash this year, already setting the bar high with a resounding 92 – 6 win over Northampton.

If you attend one UEA BUCS game this week

UEA Women’s Badminton 1st’s are one of a number of teams at home this Wednesday and play against Bedford 1st’s in what should be a high quality match and a local derby of sorts.

What to watch 

Tuesday 15th, England vs Poland – Never has a ‘must win’ seemed more fitting. With Ukraine guaranteed to beat San Marino  England must beat Poland at Wembley to top the group and qualify without the hassle of a play-off. Plus it means less of Adrian Chiles on our televisions so here’s hoping.

The Quote 

‘Winning takes talent, to repeat takes character’. – John Wooden

County FIVES Norfolk

The popular County FIVES Norfolk Sunday league was up and running again on Sunday evening. In torrential downpour teams played, with great difficulty, a number of games to determine what league they will be in the following week. If a group of friends are looking for a more casual experience get your team entered soon. Team names currently include Victorious Secret, Norfolking Chance and Murder On Zidane’s Floor.

And finally…Rush!

If you haven’t seen it yet then go and see Rush. It is a superbly made film and the acting and action is enjoyable even if your not a big F1 fan.