Review: Bastille

Bastille went down a storm at UEA in one of the most anticipated sold out gigs of the year.

bastille review uea review
Credit: NME

Credit: NME

The pure difficulty in actually getting your mitts on a golden ticket for this UEA gig just goes to prove that Bastille are on another level when it comes to their live performance.

Despite achieving phenomenal success in a relatively short amount of time, the band still prefer to perform at smaller, more intimate venues. Whilst ensuring a greater experience for the fans, tickets become highly sought after – something the UEA Box Office caught onto with their spontaneous sales of the very last couple of tickets leading up to the show.

The tightly packed, screaming crowd went mental for the soaring opening of Bad Blood, the title track from their platinum award winning debut album.

Things We Lost in the Fire, These Streets, and Icarus were particular highlights of the night, as each member of the band had their own drum to create that pounding beat with which Bastille have become so familiar. They also performed memorable covers of Corona’s Of the Night and City High’s What Would You Do, breathing new life into old hits from the last decade.

Bastille treated the crowd to a preview of three new songs throughout the set, leaving this Tab reviewer very much hoping a new album is in the works.

After the entire crowd chanting for more, Bastille returned to the stage with the slow, atmospheric Get Home, showcasing the true vocal talents of frontman, Dan Smith. Though an obvious choice – and a great one at that – Pompeii finished off a fantastic set as the overjoyed (pun intended) crowd sang along to the chart topping single.

Were you at their gig? What did you think of it? Let us know in the comment section!