Megan Barnett Week 2: Saying goodbye

Junk food binges, bank account bashing and inevitable goodbyes: Megan talks visits from your long distance partner…

When you see your girlfriend at the train station, you’ll drop your belongings, an orchestra will play, and you’ll run, slow-motion, towards each other with open arms. When your boyfriend’s car finally pulls up outside your house, you’ll squeal with delight, run downstairs, and he’ll lift you up and twirl you when you embrace. 

Like anything in life, however, things are never straightforward. Here’s a list of pros and cons concerning a visit from your long distance beau:

Pro: You get to spend time with your significant other

Days, weeks, and months do add up. After any period of separation, simply seeing them in the flesh, as opposed to the slightly delayed, pixelated, 2-D Skype version, is rather lovely. Birds will sing, woodland creatures will dress you in the morning. All is well.

Con: They will inevitably leave

You won’t want them to go. You’ll beg, and plead, and cling to them like a child on their first day of school. Waving them off will feel like the hardest thing in the world; you’ll feel abandoned in your tiny student room. You’ll notice the mildew, and everything will be as grey as the Square in the rain.

Pro: Initially, you won’t have to spend any money

You don’t have to go anywhere, therefore you don’t have to pay for travel. You don’t even have to move! It’s like Domino’s knocking on your door, offering a free slice of sexiness. Enjoy!

Con: You probably will go into your overdraft

You’ll end up buying copious amounts of junk food, lying in bed all day watching films on Netflix. Or, you’ll try new restaurants, go to exhibits, get an impromptu tattoo commemorating your love. You’ll go Dutch on everything, because you have such a modern, cosmopolitan relationship.

Pro: You’ll have the best time you’ve had in ages 

This is the first time you’ve seen each other in a while, so you probably won’t argue, unless one of you does something really stupid. You’ll make corny jokes, spend a lot of time in your birthday suits, cook personalised Epic Meal Time dinners, and spend a fair amount of time swooning.

His arteries were telling him it was probably time to go back to uni…

Con: They will inevitably leave

This has already featured on my list, but it’s that horrible it gets a second mention. You’ll have acted out a vomit-inducing play of romance for your flatmates, and then when your significant other leaves, you’ll feel a bit like Romeo when he thinks that Juliet’s dead. Not to worry, though! The next time you visit them, whether at home or at their university, it’ll be much easier leaving them, as you get to come back to your lovely uni buddies, and they’ll go through the turmoil of abandonment instead.