Burger Van Backlash!

Students turn to Twitter to mourn the van… and the stupidity of their fellow students.

burger van lcr uea

A backlash over the banning of the burger van at LCR nights has raged today over Twitter. Students have taken to their favourite online soapbox to discuss the loss of the takeaway, in a scandal dubbed as #burgergate.

The Union defended itself yesterday by maintaining that later opening hours at The Shop means that the van is no longer needed- and even gave our friends at Concrete the chance to sample some of their very own burgers.

However, for many students this simply isn’t good enough- with many calling into question just how in touch the Union are with what students really want-  evidently dirty, greasy burgers. Some have even called for a campaign to ‘Bring Back The Burger Van’.

Supporters of the Union’s decision have been quick to point out the benefits of replacing the van with the Shop. The Shop will be staffed by paid student employees, and 100% of the profits will be ploughed back into the Union piggybank, as opposed to the 10% profit donated to the Union by Corky’s, the supplier of the burger van.

Others, however, have expressed concern at the welfare of Corky’s employees who now find themselves without work.

It is, as yet, unclear to how the decision was made by the Union as it did not pass through Union Council, and some students have expressed frustration that they feel views are not being represented.

As The Tab reported earlier this year, Union funds are running at an all time low and they are currently exploring new ways to create income.

The Tab will be bringing a full, educated and analytical report over the quality of The Shop’s takeaway produce in due course*- but until then, let us know what you think of #burgergate on the comments section.

*Subject to us still being sober enough to digest food at the end of an LCR session, of course.