Megan Barnett: Week One

In her first column, Megan shares her favourite long distance relationship tips…

lcr ldr megan uea columns week one
The Tab's new columnist, Megan!

The Tab’s new columnist, Megan!

Hello Tab readers! Sitting comfortably? Good. My name is Megan, and I’m an old and wise third year now. Throughout my university career, I have been in a long-term, long-distance relationship with my lovely, albeit ginger, boyfriend Tom. Our meet-cute was so tender- we were young, we were in our local Wetherspoons, and the moon was doing its romantic business. We’d only been together for three months before I packed off to merry old UEA, and so I’ve become quite accustomed to the two and a half hour drive between here and home, and very used to feigning attractiveness and soberness on Skype.

I am in no way suggesting that I am some sort of expert on relationships- I just happen to be in one. All relationships are different, and long-distance is possibly the most bizarre one going. Sometimes it feels like you’re dating an imaginary person; you’re simultaneously with someone and alone. Campus couples will appear smug, PDAs will drive you insane, and Freshers grinding on each other in the LCR will drive you back to the bar to neck a few cheap and cheeky drinks.

Long distance relationships can be hard. You’ll find yourself sighing, looking out of a misty window, or writing your beloved’s name with alphabetty-spaghetti while you have a hearty student meal of toast and mulch. However, there are some amazing benefits to having a significant other a hundred or so miles away.

You can sit in bed and eat cheese without being judged

Cheese, leftover kebab, burger, whatever. You will, at some point in your university career, find yourself hungover, feeling like the residue on a fast food wrapper. Ergo, you must consume vast quantities of said fast food in order to make yourself feel better. Your significant other, meanwhile, remembers you as the shiny prize that they fell for. Cherish it.

You can laugh at walk-of-shamers without being a hypocrite 

If you live on campus, you will be able to spot someone on a walk of shame a mile off. In my first year, I saw a girl literally crawling up a hill in last night’s glittery LCR attire. You will never have to endure this, unless you happen to stay over a friend’s (or you’re not a very loyal partner. Shame on you). Even then, people will be able to tell the difference. A walk-of-shamer often wears last night’s make-up and a mask of regret.

You have free accommodation when you visit

Whether your significant other lives in your hometown, or is studying somewhere else, your costs are significantly reduced because they’ll put you up. It might not seem that amazing, but when you’re living on a budget, and have to factor in travelling costs and spending money, having that weight off of your mind is a treat. If your partner works rather than studies, they’ll probably buy you a drink or two or split travel costs, because they know how hard it is being poor constantly. If they don’t, they’re mean. Tell them I said so.

You’ll be reminded of how amazing they are

Just think- when you meet up you’ll be able to do this. Pic: BuzzFeed

Relationships have a habit of getting stale. When your other half isn’t around all the time, you’ll start to miss them. Unless you don’t really like them, which is a bit harsh. Communication is key, and texting, phoning, and Skyping will soon become your favourite times of the day. You still get to have an amazing university experience, but you know you’ve got an awesome partner that you can show off when they visit.

Splash Photo: Tamara Peart, redcoatstudio.co.uk