#UEA50

As our beloved UEA turns 50, The Tab brings you the highlights from Saturday’s festival, which for no obvious reason, was centred around a small volcano…

| UPDATED lcr students uea uea 50 volcano

The Square, as usual, was the heart of activity on campus throughout the day. Various societies from Trampolining and Frisbee to Capoeira and Quidditch showed their skills whilst the sun shone and the barbeque blazed. Stalls were set up for promotion of societies such as Women in Business and the Food Co-Op and the Welcome Party’s usual fairground rides were put to good daytime use.

Around the corner, everyone’s favourite Radio 1 DJ and alumnus, Greg James, was given the important task of officially opening The Shop, much to the delight of starstruck students. Elsewhere, campus was transformed into its own festival ground, with the Little Big Top providing family activities such as a volcano cake making competition and volcano decorating. @GreenSideUpEle tweets: “Didn’t even come close to winning the “Cake-off” thoroughly outclassed by some amazing entries. Pics to follow. #congratulations #UEA50 #UEA”.

Pop up demonstrations around campus also drew crowds, such as a surprisingly spectacular mini nitrogen volcano. Campus tours were given to the public, who also were allowed to access the wonders of the labs and the music department. Alumni, having been present in various years of UEA’s half a century, were of course cordially invited back and were treated to their own area. Here’s hoping we’re still alive for the 100th.

Photo: UEA.

The Fringe Festival supplied the culture in the Drama Studio, with poetry, stand up and other performances from local talent and alumni such as Luke Wright and Arthur Smith. Even Eddie Izzard (an honorary graduate) made an appearance with his new show, Stripped, performed entirely in French. @ChrissyMcMahon tweets: “Not even 1pm and already seen 2 shows at #UEA50! Campus is packed, really lovely day!”

The LCR, more used to classics such as ‘Call Me Maybe’, got a dose of something more sophisticated as the Choir and Orchestra took to the stage with the sounds of Beethoven. Lecture theatres, the library and the Sainsbury Centre gave us the intellectual aspect to the celebrations (this is an institute of learning, after all) with workshops, debates and Café Conversations on topics ranging from climate change to neuroarthistory, and the ominously titled “Is UEA your university?” (the answer: of course it is).

Photo: Ella Sharp

Finally, as the sun set, the festival culminated with the much anticipated Norfolk Firework Volcano, built especially for the festival on Waveney Mount. John Rhys-Davies, better known as Gimli from The Lord of the Rings trilogy, kept the crowd enthralled as it grew darker and the atmosphere increased. @LeahInAzu sums it up: “Listening to the sounds of a flute and a sitar while awaiting the eruption of a volcano. Only at UEA. #UEA50”. After suggestively spewing smoke for half an hour, turning campus into a smoky forest, the volcano eventually ‘erupted’ with a magnificent fireworks display. The night ended with a huge party in the Big Top (tickets were so coveted, a white board was set up in the LCR for the ticketless to beg), with the glamorous Bo Nanafana Social Club providing cabaret and dancing.

Photo: UEA.