What to expect from UEA’s Anniversary Fringe Festival

The Tab’s guide to Saturday’s Anniversary Fringe Festival…

This Saturday is UEA’s 50 year anniversary. The Tab has put together to the lesser-known aspect of the celebrations, the Anniversary Fringe Festival. This will showcase some exceptional theatre, stand-up and poetry courtesy of UEA alumni. Yes, this includes Eddie Izzard (which has unfortunately sold out). For those unsure of what else is going on, there’s a lot. This is our guide.

Arthur Smith – 6pm – 7pm

Tickets are running low to see comedian, writer, broadcaster, and occasional guest on QI and Have I Got News for You, Arthur Smith. Get in quick at the box office or mug innocent citizens to see him perform Saturday evening in the UEA Drama Studio.

Aisle 16 – 2.15pm – 3.15pm

Concessions pay just £5 for an hour of live literature with Tim Clare, Joe Dunthorne, John Osborne, Ross Sutherland and Luke Wright. They’re UEA graduates, hilarious poets, compelling performers, and The Tab’s pick of the festival.

Mark Grist – 7.30pm – 8.30pm

Mark Grist is a poet and battle rapper who found much of his fame through Youtube, but you can see him at the Drama Studio for £5. It’s an hour of startling and accomplished spoken word from an incredibly quick-thinking and funny performer.

Phillipa and Will are Now in a Relationship / The Sexual Awakening of Peter Mayo – 1.30pm – 3pm

Created by playwright and comedy writer Jon Brittain and performed by current UEA students, these double billed plays explore love and sex in the information age. The performance will be staged in the rehearsal room of the UEA Drama Studio. The titles promise both a ‘filthy, funny, bittersweet romance’, and insight into the exploits of a ‘romantically clueless Thunderbirds fan’, which for just £3.50 is pretty hard to turn down.

Laugh Out Loud Comedy Club – 5pm – 6pm

Check out the comedy show with the acclaimed, sometimes award-winning, Pat Cahill, John Kearns and Joz Norris. They’re local to Norwich and well-practised on the circuit. £3.50 guarantees big laughs in the Drama Studio.

Risky and Fluke – 10.30am – 10.45am

A short play by the Oscar nominated Tom Bidwell. Fluke the clown’s partner, Risky, disappears but he attempts the two-man routine regardless. See this award winning play in the Drama Studio’s theatre for £3.50.

This is only a small selection of fringe acts. There are plenty more poets, comedians, plays, and UEA student performances. For further information, and to browse all the shows, look to UEA Ticket Bookings.

Or attend the Facebook event.

This is a remarkable, rare gathering of UEA talent. It is absolutely not to be missed.