SportsMart Preview – Table Tennis

Sports Editor, Marco Bell, talks to table tennis 1st team captain Johnny Bispham about the side’s recent successes.

sportsmart tables tennis

As part of a Freshers special Tab Sport are previewing a number of sports clubs and societies – take note if you are visiting the SportsMart today!

We hope to give readers a better idea of where their money is best spent and what to expect throughout the year. Table tennis 1st team captain Johnny Bispham has been talking to Tab Sport about the side’s recent successes.

Bispham said last season was without a doubt the most successful of the clubs history – “we finally managed to secure promotion to the Southern Premier League, going through the league season with a 100% record and reclaiming the Midlands 1A Championship”.

Looking ahead consolidation and survival is the team’s main objective. Having seen their top BUCS players go on to graduate the side are short on numbers but remain confident with the talent at their disposal – the chance of oncoming freshers is also always a welcome possibility. As one of the leading teams in UEA’s BUCS points league last year any newcomers will be joining a side with a winning mentality already established.

There have been a number of changes to the committee and Bispham believes this will help the club become more outgoing – “there will be many socials, a little bit of coaching within the club to aid improvement and if the support is strong enough we may also host a few ladder tournaments. In addition, Derby Day is always a great day for all sports clubs, and having not lost to Essex for four years now, we will look to continue our dominance in a bid to take that trophy home once again!”

Commenting on table tennis’s selling points Bispham said the sport is accessible to anyone, with beginners given as much attention as those who want to play at a higher level.

Harry Frost, Club President, says the club are always striving to better themselves in every department – “without doubt there is always improvements to be made. We aim to provide an accessible experience for anyone who wants to get involved, including an active social calendar to ensure anyone can be a proud member of the club and make new friends to improve their university experience.”

On the subject of whether table tennis gets the recognition it deserves Bispham said that in the past table tennis has been overlooked, especially when you consider the clubs track record over the past few years – “in the last 3 years we have lost only two BUCS league matches, became the first university team to make BUCS Finals Day and were awarded Sports Club of the Year last year.”

A club on the rise; freshers take note.