Freshers UEA A-Z: Part One

Do you know your AfterDarks from your Ziggurats? Get to know your way around with our A-Z

| UPDATED A-Z freshers norwich uea

A – After Dark

www.mantranorwich.com

Sounds a bit scary at first but really “After Dark” is just a fancy way of saying “Thursday night at Mantra”. Get yourself a VIP After Dark wristband at the bar and you’ll be entitled to 50% off drinks plus cheap entry for as long as you keep the wristband. The grubbier you are, the longer you can keep the wristband.

B – Burger Van

It’s not the real one but The Tab have never been sober enough to take a picture.

After a night at the LCR the glowing warmth of the burger van is a welcome sight. God knows what’s in them but who cares? Those stodgy buns works wonders at soaking up jägerbombs. Your night isn’t complete without one.

C – Campus Kitchen and CD Annexe

Cheap food, big portions and a greasy breakfast guaranteed to defeat any hangover – Campus Kitchen has got it all. Noodle Day and Curry Day are definitely ones not to miss out on.

CD Annexe is a ‘temporary structure’ at the end of Chancellor’s Drive. Needless to say, it’s been there as long as anyone can remember. You will DREAD walking here as it is legitimately the longest trek in the world. (The Tab timed it from Suffolk Terrace once and it took a disgusting six minutes).

D – Doctors

A boring one but important none the less! Illness is rife throughout Freshers (must be something in the vodka). Whether it’s a simple case of Fresher’s Flu or just to stock up on free condoms it’s well worth introducing yourself to the lovely nurses and getting yourself registered. Be warned- the pharmacy shuts on weekends, so a trek to Boots in town may be necessary.

E – Essex

Oh UEA is wonderful, oh Essex is not.  Even the QS University World Rankings knows we’re the best, ranking UEA over 100 places higher than rival, University of Essex. Rivalry really heats up around Derby Day but it’s good to get some practice in before then.

F – Forty Percent

If things feel like they’re getting a bit too much this year then these two words are very important to remember! To pass your first year you only need to get 40% overall. So don’t let the essays drag you down too much. Your first year is just as much about having fun, meeting new people and having new experiences as it is about exams.

G –Greg James

FYI: He lived in Colman House.

Everyone’s favourite Radio 1 DJ not only studied Drama at UEA but was also the station manager of our very own LiveWire 1350AM. UEA loves to boast about having Greg among its extensive alumni, flick through any prospectus and you’re guaranteed to see his face.

H – Hive

The smoothies served at The Hive are almost too good to be true. If you’re really suffering from an LCR-induced hangover then The Tab can personally recommend The Breakfast Crumble to get you on the right track. Be warned: The Hive is just above the LCR so if you’re trying to get away from being reminded of all the terrible mistakes you made the previous night this might not be the best place for you.

I – Intu Chapelfields

Chapelfields is the main shopping centre in town, so you’ll probably be spending a fair bit of time there. On the 3rd October they have a Student Night from 5-9pm, where you can pick up some good freebies and get some great deals (last year Schuh were giving out free booze) Get down there early if you want to get the proper goodybags.

J  – Join Societies

Tenous, we know. If you really want to get into the Freshers spirit the best thing you can do is join a society. With over 200 societies on offer ranging from Rugby to knitting, you’re guaranteed to find something for you. Head down to SocFair or Sports fair and see what grabs your attention. And remember, The Tab is always looking for new columnists and writers so get in touch to get involved!

K – Kartel

If you’re a bit of a night owl then Kartel might be the place for you, staying open til 4am means it’s one of the last clubs to close. Kartel boasts “fun bar staff, fun drinks, fun nights”. It’s a little bit grimy, a little bit indie but a big bit of fun.

L – Ls and Lola Lo

Spend more than five minutes on the UEA campus and you’ll hear about the infamous ‘Five Ls”. Many have tried and many have failed. Even if you don’t fancy getting your freak on in these places; the Library, LCR, Lake, Launderette and Lecture Theatres are all good places to get associated with. (Especially the launderette, don’t be THAT flatmate)

Lola Lo is the club you always say you’re never going back to, but the lure of the frozen daiquiri machine will always entice you in. Tiny dancefloor but normally decent tunes and not ridiculous prices. Don’t bother dressing up.

M – Mantra

Recently renamed, Mantra will always be Tao in our hearts. Head here on a Monday for “exclusive, invite only” Clique (getting an invite is probably the easiest thing you’ll ever do whilst at UEA) or use your After Dark wrist band here on a Thursday. Occasionally get ‘stars’ from Made in Chelsea and TOWIE to make appearences.

Feat. image c. Union of UEA Students.

Check back later in the week for our second half of the A-Z!