Get a First in Graduation Glamour

You’re  at the end of your degree, the dissertation has been handed in, there is only one challenge left to face… what on earth do you wear to graduation!? Choosing […]

You’re  at the end of your degree, the dissertation has been handed in, there is only one challenge left to face… what on earth do you wear to graduation!?

Choosing an outfit that will be immortalised in print on your parents’ mantelpiece is no mean feat. If your graduation gown is anything like LDC’s, you’ll already have a black mortar board, a blue robe and a coral lapel to contend with…nice.

The key to graduation glamour is to keep it simple. Embrace creams, nudes, or bright block colours for a sophisticated, summery look. With so much going on already with your required gown, bold prints are your new enemy.  Avoid materials that crease easily, photos are often taken after you have sat through the long ceremony.

Dress: £65 Warehouse

Dresses or skirt and shirt combinations are popular choices at graduation. But remember, these pictures will be shown to your grandma, your grandma’s friends, and possibly the milkman. Choosing a dress/skirt of suitable length is key; hem lines that skim or cover the knee are safest. Or why not embrace the trend of 2012-2013 and opt for a midi?

Skirt: River Island £20

Blouse: H&M £17.99

Top Tip: Your University may suggest that you wear something with a button to attach your lapel to, if you don’t want to wear a shirt, use a mini safety pin to do the job instead.

Once you have your outfit, some careful planning needs to go into footwear, no one wants to be ‘that girl who fell-over collecting her scroll.’ Whether you’re a seasoned wearer of the six inch, or a girl more inclined to Converse, choose shoes you are comfortable in to avoid embarrassment and keep you smiling after a long day of small talk. Nude or tan shoes help any leg to look longer (and you’re going to need all the help you can get in that calf skimming gown.) Next has a top collection of nude shoes in a variety of styles, they’re easy on the eye and the feet!

Go formal with this high Court shoe, or edgy with a summer boot.

Shoes: £30 Next

Sheer Mesh Boots: £40 Next

The most important thing about your graduation outfit is that it suits you. You’ve done the hard work and you’ve got the degree, relax and enjoy graduation in an outfit you’ll want to look back on.

Pictures: warehouse.co.uk, riverisland.com, hm.com/gb, next.co.uk.