UEA pages ditched in national Facebook cull

UEA Rate Your Shag and UEA tell him/her have been removed by Facebook.

Facebook has removed both the ‘UEA Rate Your Shag’ and ‘UEA tell him/ her’ pages.

Rate Your Shag, which allowed users to review their conquests accompanied by a mark out of ten, was shut down by Facebook yesterday along with many similar pages unnofficially associated with universities nationwide. The page had only been live a few days.

Rate Your Shag and tell him/ her were the latest in a trend of pages like Spotted UEA Library which allow students to send a message to an anonymous administrator to post on the page’s timeline.

Rate Your Shag had attracted more than 200 likes and nearly 700 students had liked tell him/ her before the pages were removed yesterday morning. This followed Facebook admitting that it has not done enough to combat hate content on the site.

Rate Your Shag had received a mixed response from UEA students, with many expressing disgust on social media at the page’s creation.

One satisfied customer.

UEA’s Rate Your Shag page didn’t achieve the popularity of many of its counterparts, with Loughborough’s page gaining 2,500 likes. Loughborough have since warned their students that posting on Rate Your Shag or similar sites will result in disciplinary action.

NUS Vice President, Pete Mercer, condemned the pages as “not funny in the slightest and tantamount to bullying”.

What’s your opinion on UEA Rate Your Shag and tell him/ her? Should they have been shut down? Should they have been created in the first place? Have your say in the comments box below.