Preview: Comedy of Errors

Shakespeare set in the nineties? Culture editor, Hannah Epstein, finds out more.

Earlier this week I caught up with director: Rob Henderson, producer: Emma Jennings and two of the cast members of this summer’s outdoor production of ‘The Comedy of Errors’.

If you don’t believe that Shakespeare can be sent back through the nineties, or the original Shakespeare’s twins can be portrayed by just one actor, prepare to be convinced! 

So, first things first, why have you chosen this particular play?

For the very fact that it’s a comedy. It’s light hearted, fun, and there’s a lot that you can do with it, in terms of characters, setting and atmosphere. It is definitely one of Shakespeare’s shorter plays, but one that is very entertaining and packed full of action.

What do you think having the play staged outside will bring to the production?

Well, for one thing it will give the audience a chance to experience Shakespeare how it was originally performed, outside against all the elements. It also forces the actors to become more aware of everything around them, as you aren’t in complete control of your environment, which adds a bit more excitement, for both the actors and the audience.

Why did you decide to set it in the 1990s?

In my experience, this decade hasn’t really been done before as an interpretation of Shakespeare. Which means that it’s new and exciting ground to cover. Also, the Music that fit the best with the atmosphere we were trying to create came from the 90s. I wanted this Ephesus to be a typical party town, one where that is a distinct difference between the people of live there, and the people who come to visit.

I understand the production has a very small cast, with some actors playing up to four roles! How do you find multi-rolling in Shakespeare?

It’s important to make sure that each character has a distinct look, voice and characterisation. Other it can get very complicated and confusing. We spend a lot of time making sure each character is unique, and a lot of that comes down to the physical characteristics and body language of that character. This physical aspect adds an extra layer of comedy to the play, so it’s actually worked out for the better.

Multi-Rolling I can understand to a certain extent, but having one actor portraying one set of twins? Has the not been extremely challenging?

It was hard to begin with, the constant changes in character became quite tiring, especially when you consider that the fact that they’re twins takes away the chance to physically differentiate between the characters. But eventually you get used it, and in fact it makes things a bit easier since you don’t have to worry about anyone else messing up the character, you just have concentrate on yourself.

Without giving too much away, how are you going to handle the ending of the play, given the actor to character ratio?

All we can say is that it works – kind of. No, we’ve tried and tested it and it will work. Again, it just adds another layer of comedy, so hopefully the audience will get a good laugh out of it.

Do you find that people loose interest when they hear the name, Shakespeare?

No, it’s the opposite actually. Shakespeare has been done in so many ways over the years, and people really respond to it. Besides, this particular production has a lot of physical comedy to it as well. Which means that even if you’re not that keen on the language of the play, that shouldn’t put you off, because you’ll still be able to enjoy it and understand it just from the acting itself.

Finally, why do you think that UEA students should come and see this production?

It will be Shakespeare as you’ve never seen it before. The 90s setting provides a nostalgic experience for the audience with Music and an atmosphere that they’ll be able to relate to. It’s a light, funny, entertaining play, and a great way to help end the year at UEA.

You heard it here first! This production is sure to be one to remember, and I strongly suggest that everyone add it to the ten things that should do before leaving uni for the year! Enjoy Guys!

IMPORTANT DETAILS

When: Wednesday 22nd, Thursday 23rd and Friday 24th May

Where: school of Music amphitheatre: picnic blankets encouraged