Nerd Wars!

Star Wars and Doctor Who fans in brawl at UEA convention

It was supposed to be a safe haven for like-minded sci-fi fanatics.

So imagine the horror when a fight broke out between Star Wars fans and their absolute non-rivals, the Doctor Who gang.

Wannabe Jedi masters threatened to exterminate the Doctors on Sunday at the Norwich Sci-Fi and Film Convention, held at UEA and organised by the Norwich Star Wars Club.

Trouble arose after members of another group, the Norwich Sci-Fi Club, showed up to ask for autographs from two Doctor Who actors who were appearing at the Convention.

Be honest, you wouldn’t want to fight these guys

Lightsabres and sonic screwdrivers flew (sort of) as an argument erupted between the factions. Things got so heated the police were called to calm the feuding fans.

Jim Poole, treasurer of Norwich Sci-Fi Club, said there was a history of rivalry between the two clubs.

He said he had attended the event to get the autographs of actors Graham Cole and Jeremy Bullock for a Doctor Who diary to be auctioned for charity.

Poole said he was wearing a Sci-Fi Club top and was with another member dressed as the fifth Doctor, played by Peter Davison.

He said once he arrived at the convention, he was verbally abused by a member of the rival club and called the police.

Dominic Warner, secretary of Norwich Star Wars Club, said: “It’s been blown up as if it was a fight. There was no fighting.”

“It does sound comical. People that dress up in costume are labelled geeks and some people laugh at us, and this just makes it even more so.”

There were even reports of a man (home planet unknown) being assaulted at the event.

A Norfolk police spokesperson said: “After a lengthy investigation, talking to witnesses and reviewing good CCTV footage, it was confirmed that there was no assault.

“The two rival groups were spoken to and advised to keep out of each other’s way.”

Poole said: “It’s a bit sad and pathetic. We’re all in the same boat. We’re not in competition. We’d like to extend the hand of friendship.”

Clearly for the Norwich Sci-Fi club, this was not the convention they were looking for.