Students grilled over Britten House blaze

No-one injured except the contents of the fridge, but will students have to pay?

| UPDATED britten house fire uea fire uea news

Students living in Britten House faced a dramatic morning after a fire broke out in a ground floor flat.

It’s thought the blaze started after items including plates, sieves and cups were left on a grill in Flat 1.

Three fire engines, police cars and an ambulance were called in, as well as UEA Security.

Flat 1 resident Anna Egan said: “The firemen told us the grill had been left on and then the stuff on it caught fire. Part of the extractor fan fell onto the hobs.

“There was glass everywhere and the kitchen is covered in soot. We now have a black ceiling and the kitchen has been set off so we have no means of cooking.

“The fridge/freezer has been shut off so we’ve lost loads of food to it. Accommodation have said if we keep the receipts they will pay for two meals for us.

“I thought it was a drill until my flatmate properly banged on my door. I was quite dazed but could smell the smoke. Then when we were outside I realised the kitchen was just full of smoke.”

Photo: Timi Ofarn

James Cornforth, who lives above in Flat 5, said: “I was woken up by the fire alarm at around 8.15. I left my room and everything stank of burnt matches. I got outside and a security man asked me for Flat 1 and said that the fire was in there.

“Then a fire engine turned up… Then another, and another. Then some police and an ambulance. After that it was just a matter of waiting. Everything still smells of smoke though.”

Those living in the flat are now awaiting news of a possible fine – and they’re far from happy. Anna said: “I don’t think it’s fair to fine us – our kitchen is lethal enough as it is and we’re paying £110 a week for that…”

An investigation is now underway to determine the cause of the fire.