Union eyes booze price hike to fix deficit

Drink and ticket price rises considered after sober students hit Union budget

Teetotal students could be to blame for a Union budget deficit of £46,500.

The shortfall could mean price rises on drinks at selected Union events, with potential ticket price increases too.

The Union, which receives most of its income through sales of alcohol in its outlets, is suffering from what it calls “changes in students social habits”.

Sales of booze in the Union Bar and the LCR have fallen by almost £100,000 in the past three years, down from £605,239 to £508,256 – a 16% drop.

A very green Joe Levell. Pic: Union of UEA Students

Delivering the budget in an emergency meeting of Union Council, Finance Officer Joe Levell said: “[The Union] felt students are now more likely to a sip a coffee between seminars than they are to drink a pint after lectures.”

Ticket sales for student club nights at the LCR are also significantly down, with fewer than five nights selling out across the academic year, compared to two a week in 2008/2009.

Levell said the Union is now looking at other means of income, such as organising paid trips for students and a Union Lettings Agency for students trying to find housing.

The Union is also raising drinks prices in the Union Bar at selected events, including gigs.

Levell warned that, if the block grant given to the Union by the University does not increase this year, further measures would have to be taken.

These would include raising ticket prices for Union events and a permanent increase in the cost of alcohol across campus.

Students are worried about the moves. One second year said: “If students are not spending enough in the bar now, they won’t be going at all if prices are raised.”

Students were told at Union Council to prepare to protest against the University if the grant does not increase.

Currently, the block grant is £649,000 under the national average and, although the Union is lobbying the University, it is unclear whether their attempts to secure more funding will be successful.

If not, it may not just be a sober, but a sombre Union that students return to in September.