Plenty of Drama as Football Team Get In A (Huffle)puff

UEA thesps take home biggest gong of the night at the Union Awards…but it’s all doom and broom for the Football Club.

| UPDATED uea awards uea drama uea football uea union

When it comes to the LCR, this was about as glitzy as it gets.

The sticky dancefloor was covered in tables, a balloon arch loomed over the stage, and students packed in to find out who would win the awards more coveted than the Oscars (at least by certain Union Council reps).

Women’s Officer Rachel Knott wins The Tab’s award for Best Dressed

Hosted by Union Officers Joe Levell, Sam Clark and Josh Bowker, all looking dapper in suits, the Union Awards celebrated some of the people who have made a difference to campus life this year.

Drama Society toast their success.

Although we are not Union affiliated, The Tab will take any excuse to dress up and quaff free champagne- and we were there to cheer on our friends at Drama Society as they took home the biggest gong of the night, Society of the Year, beating competition from Literature Society and Concrete.

Literature Society looked very glam.

Other big winners of the night included Jailbreak organisers Livewire 1350, who won the award for Progress As A Society, and Table Tennis who won Progress as a Sports Club.

Livewire celebrate winning the award for Progress As A Society

Some of the weird and wacky societies of UEA were celebrated, including Quidditch, who won the award for Outstanding Achievement By A Society.

Just like the best award ceremonies, the night did not pass without controversy. UEA Football, who did not receive a single nomination, cemented their position as the sorest losers of UEA with a spate of vitriolic tweets, including one suggesting that Korfball and Quidditch winning awards ‘summed up all that is wrong with this country. #supportrealsports’.

One of the more nasty tweets sent by the official Twitter of Men’s Football

The Tab understands they will be formally complaining to the Union after their success in winning their BUCS league this year went unrecognised. They also ludicrously denounced the ceremony as ‘secret’, although more than a hundred people attended the awards.

Table Tennis take the tacky trophy

Sadly, none of the worthy winners of the awards will be taking home a trophy. The Union could only afford one tacky Perspex award. We were told ominously to simply blame the deficit.

Editor’s Note: We originally insinuated that Rosie Rawle and Benjamin Brown had won the award for ‘Campaigner of the Year’ because of their work on the RBS boycott. The Tab acknowledges that Ms Rawle and Mr Brown did not write the boycott policy, and were given this award for all their campaigns, of which the Ethical Banking policy was just one. We apologise to Ms Rawle and Mr Brown for any offence caused.