Carnage In The LCR

Student left battered after St Patrick’s Day attack

| UPDATED norwich crime uea crime uea lcr uea news

Anthony Silver’s injuries

It wasn’t a happy St Paddy’s Day for one second year student who was brutally assaulted in the LCR.

Second year computing student, Anthony Silver, is now facing a major operation after having three bones in his face broken on Saturday night.

The alleged attacker, not believed to be a UEA student, has been arrested and charged with grievous bodily harm. Anthony said that a doctor told him ‘he was lucky to have not lost his vision’. In addition, his teeth have been misaligned and he has undergone substantial damage to his jaw.

Anthony has appealed for any witnesses to the attack to come forward.

Photo: Union of UEA Students

This will no doubt raise questions about security in the LCR, which was a focus for many of the student officer candidate’s campaigns. It isn’t the first time an incident of this nature has occurred – student Henry Rios said ‘my mate got assaulted outside the LCR back in November. The LCR has to hire more security around the venue for these events.’ Amelia Puttock agrees- ‘two of my flatmates were assaulted outside the Sportspark after the LCR two weeks ago. The culprit still hasn’t been caught. Something needs to be sorted!’

Union Council have recently discussed the possibility of making LCR nights open to UEA students only. In light of these attacks, questions will be raised on whether serious action needs to be taken to ensure that students’ safety is paramount at all times.

In the meantime, The Tab wishes Anthony a very speedy recovery.