Spirited fightback gives UEA futsal victory

Futsal were happy to play on yesterday, and very happy to have a victory!

Unfortunately yesterday’s weather claimed both the first and second team football matches as Colney Lane fell foul of difficult conditions, but the futsal side ensured UEA claimed a soccer-based victory in at least one form of the game.

With strong home support behind them, UEA had the better of the early exchanges, dictating the pace of the game.

The victorious UEA futsallers

The first goal though came against the run of play as the Essex number 14 found a pocket of space and slotted home, giving the away side the lead.

The goal seemed to spur the away side on as they drew a string of fine saves from UEA’s keeper Kibbey before doubling their advantage. The second came from a free kick on the edge of the area which took an unfortunate deflection off Davidson-Houston on its way into the net.

The game opened up as the second goal galvanized UEA with both sides beginning to create freely but neither could find a goal before the break.

At 0-2 down UEA needed something soon after the restart and they got it when Dodman stole possession in the middle, raced clear and slotted through the keeper’s legs to make it 1-2.

The goal proved a major turning point as UEA began to dominate making it 2-2 soon after with Abdellah (aka B.N.O.C) smashing home to draw the home side level.

Soon after there was a nervy moment for UEA as Levin nearly put through his own net when intercepting an Essex cross.

UEA took the lead for the first time in the match through a fine solo goal, Katase produced a sublime turn to evade his marker and fired into the far corner to make it 3-2.

UEA were again indebted to Kibbey for a fine reaction save from point blank range to keep his side in the lead.

There were more goal line heroics this time from Essex as UEA twice had shots cleared of the line after more good work from Katase down the left.

UEA soon found the fourth though as Levin capped off a fine comeback from the home side firing home to make it 4-2.

A fine victory displaying a resilient attitude to produce a superb comeback giving UEA the win.