Domi-No Pizza? No Vote

Students walk out of election Q&A session in protest at lack of free Domino’s.

dominos pizza uea election uea news uea student union

Election fever has well and truly hit, but something seems different this time round. 

Although the Square and Union House are covered in the usual posters and make-shift bed sheet banners, students have noticed a distinct lack of free pizza.

This year’s elections see more than 55 would-be politicians stand for four full time and 13 part time Union Officer roles.

Election fever gripping campus

After students accused the Union of being ‘out of touch’ at the controversial RBS boycott – and given that just 10% of UEA students voted last year – candidates are hoping that students have overcome their apathy and will turn up in their masses to elect their new officers.

But unfortunately the lack of free pizza appears to have cemented past attitudes. Tuesday’s candidate Q&A session in the LCR was poorly attended, and many students left as soon as they were handed Domino’s discount vouchers instead of the free grub they’d been promised.

Not a Mighty Meaty in sight

While the Union asked students to discuss the event using the hashtag #ueavotes, Twitter was awash with references to the scandalous #pizzagate.

Student Elliot Folan tweeted, ‘This just shows what happens when democracy is commercialized…#pizzagate.’

Your hungry Tab reporter approached a Domino’s representative, but was given no comment.