The Sporting Weekly

With everything from which UEA teams are on top, to which sporting movies you should be watching, The Sporting Weekly is The Tab’s go to guide for all sports lovers

Oscar Pistorius was charged with murder, England kept their Grand Slam hopes alive and Arsenal confirmed their fall from grace; it was quite a week in sport. The Tab looks at some of the major incidents from last week and looks at the sporting events coming up at UEA.

News

With Derby Day fast approaching UEA’s teams will be hoping to find some strong form in their upcoming BUCS matches. The UEA Women’s Rugby 1st’s have a big fixture against Bedford 1st’s this Wednesday whilst the Men’s Squash 1st’s travel to Derby.

The American sports have joined forces for a combined social on Monday 25. If you’re looking for a good night out these guys can show you the way.

Essex are sitting 38th in the BUCS points positions. UEA occupy 53rd but can help bridge the gap with a strong performance on home soil come Derby Day.

If You Watch One Sporting Movie This Week

Senna – This poignant film documents the career of the legendary Brazilian racing driver. Even if you’re not keen on F1 you will still find something to enjoy and the interviews on the race weekend before his death are powerful in hindsight.

Who’s Up and Who’s Down

Up

Rafael Nadal – It’s good to see the tennis ace back from injury after lengthy lay-offs. His win at the Brazilian Open could be the start of another dominating spell in the tennis world.

Gareth Bale – The Welshman continued his stunning form with another excellent performance against Lyon in the Europa League. Tottenham will now face Inter Milan.

Stuart Lancaster – Has installed belief in England’s squad and is well on course to lead them to a Grand Slam title.

Down

Oscar Pistorius – It’s not looking too good for Oscar who claims he thought there was an intruder in his house before shooting through the bathroom door, without checking if his girlfriend was in bed or not. Go figure.

Arsene Wenger – Got it horribly wrong against Bayern Munich and is becoming increasingly paranoid about his position at the club. Failure to secure a Champions League spot will test the Arsenal board.

Danny Mills – Possibly the most irritating co-commenter around. He says nothing original.

The Results

Last Wednesday saw a mixed bag of results for UEA. UEA Women’s Basketball continued their impressive form with a resounding victory over Northampton 1st’s 73 – 25. The Men’s Hockey won away from home 0 – 2 against Harper Adams 1st’s. UEA’s Tennis Men and Women’s sides both lost heavily to opposition.

The Quote

“If we were getting murdered every week, I’d be panicking. As it is, I’m not anxious.”

Danny Wilson, manager of relegation threatened Sheffield Wednesday before an 8 – 0 defeat to Newcastle.

What to Watch

The Premier League, March 2 – Norwich head to Old Trafford to take on the league leaders. After an impressive win against Everton, Norwich could trouble United. On the Sunday, it’s Tottenham vs. Arsenal and Wenger has never been under such scrutiny approaching a derby.