Get Ready For Jailbreak!

We bring you details of the biggest charity event of the UEA calendar.

cancer research jailbreak livewire uea charity uea news

This spring, people will be escaping from UEA.

They’ll be running from the Square, they’ll be running from the lake. Lectures will be even emptier than usual. All the good baguettes will be left in the Hive.  The LCR will stand almost empty, with one lost loner trying to start a Harlem Shake.

This year, on March 8-10… UEA DOES JAILBREAK!

On the Friday of Week Nine, intrepid teams of students will have 48 hours to get as far as they can from Norwich, all in the name of Cancer Research. The challenge? They won’t be allowed to spend a penny. Instead, they will have to use their wit, cunning and blagging skills to hitchhike, fly, or jetpack around the world.

Teams last year reached destinations all over Europe, with the furthest jetting to the sunny climes of Gibraltar, and others reaching Budapest, Berlin, Belgium and Paris! UEA Jailbreakers managed to raise a magnificent £7400 for charity.

This is the second year that Livewire1350 (UEA’s radio station) have organised Jailbreak, and event co-ordinators Kate Marks and Alex Valentine are confident that it will be an absolute success and an unforgettable experience for those involved. They re-iterated that every penny donated will go straight to Cancer Research, unlike other universities who controversially allow their teams to use money raised to fund their travel.

Last year’s Jailbreakers preparing for take-off.

Teams are forming fast, and it’s not too late for you to join in. Fancy escaping campus whilst raising money at the same time? Meet on Friday 22 February at 5pm in Union House 133 to find out more about how you can become a jailbreaker. If you can’t make it, Kate and Alex would be happy to chat at [email protected] and [email protected].

Click here to donate to this worthy cause.

Want to follow the teams’ progress on Twitter? Check out #jailbreakuea.

And finally, don’t forget to keep checking the Tab and Livewire1350! From giving jailbreakers top tips, to providing live updates of locations for those eagerly following back in Norwich, we’ll be here to report every step of the way!