Vagina. There, we said it!

What’s it really like to have a vagina? The Tab talks to the organisers for the up-coming UEA V-Day, who want everyone to know!

drama feminism uea v-day vagina monologues

Today is V-Day, so The Tab got together with organisers Emma Jennings and Jessica Clough-MacRae to chat about the performance of the Vagina Monologues showing today in the Drama studio.

The Tab: For the people that may not know, what are the Vagina Monologues?

Emma and Jess: The Vagina Monologues are a compilation of around 200 interviews, collated by Eve Ensler. They are compiled from throughout America and other countries, and they talk about the female experience – essentially the experience of having a vagina! It is a celebration of womanhood, and an invitation to get them to talk about their experiences, both sexually and emotionally. The Vagina Monologues come in an array of different styles, some more poetic and some in the style of short Q&A interviews.

Why should UEA students come?

We think it is so important for UEA students to come along. The Vagina Monologues deal with a topic that we just don’t talk about in our society. We forget about vaginas. We ignore them. It is especially important for students our age that may be worried about their body image and sexuality. The Vagina Monologues offers a chance for people to educate themselves a little bit more.

We are performing The Vagina Monologues in aid of the campaign 1 Billion Rising. 1 in 3 women will are raped or beaten during their lifetime. Eve Ensler wants to get the same number of women all around the world, plus supporting men, to dance at the same time and say “NO” once and for all to rape and domestic violence. This is what we’re supporting. Through The Vagina Monologues we want to remind people that our bodies are our own and there is no situation where sexual violence is ever ok.

Are UEA students appearing in it?

Yes – everyone involved is a student here at UEA. The majority of speakers are drama students, but it has been opened up for anyone to appear in it. The speakers are all women. However, it is open to anyone and everyone to come and see it – we want to encourage men to come too! Some men have asked us if they are allowed to come – the answer is yes of course! The event is for everyone.

UEA’s Feminist Society will also be appearing in the event, giving a short talk about what feminism is – the advocacy of women’s rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes – so not at all anti-men!

Where are the proceeds from the event going?

90% is going to Leeway – a women’s refuge charity for domestic violence and abuse services in Norwich. The other 10% is going to the V-Day campaign. 1 Billion Rising is also in aid of International Women’s Day which is on March 8th.

When and where is V-Day happening?

Monday 4 February at 8pm in the Drama Studio at UEA. Tickets cost £6, or £4 concession. Tickets are not being sold in advance, all tickets are on the door. Doors open at 7pm, and drinks and food will be served.

Click here for the V-Day Facebook Event. Check out the interview with the organisers on BBC Radio Norfolk.