Upcoming acts in Norwich

The Tab picks out the the acts you might have missed who are on their way to town.

Since the LCR is the only ‘large’ music venue for miles, UEA is an essential part of many–a bands tour. This also means lots of people snatch up tickets quickly.

So now that Jake Bugg, Bastille, Foals, and Everything Everything have sold out you might’ve written off attending any gigs this semester. But there are still some great artists headed to Norwich, so here is a rundown of five upcoming acts you don’t want to miss.

Lewis Watson

This guy is incredibly edgy. Just look at him

If last year you eagerly hopped on the Ed-Sheeran band wagon or somehow managed to miss it (you recluse, you…) then this year you can get on board with Lewis Watson.

The resemblance is uncanny: sweet, heart on the sleeve lyrics, simple sing-along melodies and the recognisable Sheeran-like vocal inflections (you’ll know what I mean when you hear him).

All that’s absent is the dipping into R&B grooves and rapping – this is pure, unadulterated, lovey-dovey acoustic pop, and if that’s your thing you will love Lewis Watson. Plus, he’s cute as a button. Head to the Norwich Arts Centre on 14 March if you feel like swooning.

Kate Nash

Kate nose what’s going on

Bet you didn’t know Kate Nash was still going? Back in the summer of 2007 it was impossible to escape Kate Nash’s mega-hit ‘Foundations’. Though she’s unlikely to rekindle the success of her no.1 debut album, Nash’s transformation alone is worth witnessing.

Almost five years to the day that Nash released her career defining track, she released “Under-estimate the Girl”, a thinly veiled rant at her critics. If you thought there was a cutesiness to her singy-talky style, then maybe Nash’s new screaming, punk direction will tickle your fancy. Yeah, that’s right: Kate Nash will be screaming at the Norwich Arts Centre on 5 April.

Ethan Johns

Producer Ethan Johns is apparently a very generous man; he’s spent so much time boosting the careers of other talented people (Ray LaMontagne, Tom Jones, Kings of Leon, [insert other superstar here]…) that 20+ years into his career he’s only just got round to showing off his own song writing chops.

Johns production credits might be eclectic, but his new album boasts a fairly conventional folk, acoustic rock sound. If you are looking for an evening of beautiful, classic songwriting then get yourself down to the Norwich Arts Centre on 11 February.

Johnny Marr

The indie world is buzzing for this fella once more

Half of the greatest song writing duo of the 80s will be gracing The Waterfront on 11 March. Fans can expect some Morrisey/Marr classics, whilst Marr will be busting out new tracks from his upcoming solo album. Following his recent work with Modest Mouse and The Cribs, Marr’s taking his first outing on a solo tour and the indie world is buzzing!

The Leisure Society

Don’t let the name throw you off: Norwich won’t hear songwriting gold like this for sometime. Twice Ivor Novello nominees (the most prestigious song writing award in the country), The Leisure Society will be performing tracks from their 2011 album ‘Into the Murky Water’.

With a full band of cellos, flutes, violins and banjos, this will be a rare sonic experience. If you love your folk loud and euphoric then get yourself down to the Norwich Arts Centre on 15 April.