How Employable Are You?

How employable are we at UEA?

All of us – no matter what year we are in or if we were even at uni at the time – have been asked ‘So what are you going to do with your degree?’. But it’s actually much more interesting question to ask ‘what can you do with your degree?’

According to the Higher Education Statistics Agency some of us doing particular courses may have some trouble bagging a job.

Is it all worth it?

Topping the list with a worrying 10% unemployment rate is Computer Science, closely followed by Creative Art and Design at 8%. Further down the list are Historical and Philosophical studies at 6% (a statistic that makes me cling to the ‘Politics’ in my Politics and Philosophy degree).

But it isn’t bad for all of us. If you happen to be doing Medicine and Dentistry, you are certain to get a job somewhere with 0% unemployment for graduates. There is also good news for anyone looking to go into Education or Law with only 3% unemployment.

If you are left feeling a bit disheartened, here’s something to cheer you up. UEA has a rather good 91.9% rate for employment or further study after six months, making us the 59th most employable university in the country.

Our good friends Essex, on the other hand… Well, let’s just say Derby Day might be the only thing they could win. They’re the 36th least employable uni in the UK at 87.9% employment. It isn’t by much but we are winning!

What do you say when asked what you will do with your degree? Are you worried about not being employable after you have finished your studies? Comment below or email us at [email protected] with your concerns and responses.