Famous At UEA

Recognise this lot? There’s hope for us graduates yet.

The recent appearance of UEA graduates on Celebrity University Challenge made many of us say, “I didn’t know they went to UEA!?” But they UC team are not the only ones on our screens to have once frequented the LCR.

Matt Smith

BA Drama and Creative Writing

The man is Dr Who…need we say more.

You know Who this is

Benedict Allen

BSc Environmental Science

Explorer, author and film maker: Benedict Allen has made his money travelling the world and filming it, usually for the BBC…lucky sod.

Once an intrepid explorer of the LCR

Greg James

BA Drama

OK maybe Greg James isn’t strictly a ‘star of the screen’..but as a top BBC Radio1 DJ, he’s done the odd television interview. Plus he regularly comes back to DJ at the LCR, so we like him enough to sneak him in a mention.

GJ is a real livewire

Jack Davenport

BA Literature and Film Studies

You might not recognise Jack Davenport in such simple dress, he’s most known as James Norrington in the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy. From Norwich to Hollywood…very nice.

“You are without doubt the worst pirate I’ve ever heard of”

Gareth Malone

BA Drama

Best known for his work as a ‘choral amimateuar’ in TV series The Choir and creater of the Military Wives, some may be surprised to learn that it was Drama and not music that Gareth Malone studied. With a successful career as a singer and presenter, it just goes to show that your degree does not necessarily control your profession.

The housewife’s favourite