Discount card to be launched for Unthank Road

22 Shops within the Golden Triangle have signed up for a new discount card scheme

Independent businesses in the Golden Triangle are set to be supported by a new discount card that will be distributed by the thousands.

7000 cards will be given to households in the area, but they will also be available from shops who are participating in the scheme.

Community campaigner Emma Corlett is backing the arrangement, telling Norwich Evening News: “people told us that independent shops were the best thing about this area.

“The idea for the scheme came about after people asked if more could be done to support them, and to make sure that people moving to the area knew about them.”

22 shops have signed up for the scheme, and if successful, could be implemented in other parts of the city.

Labour candidate Clive Lewis told Norwich Evening News that the programme could help local businesses, keep jobs and money within the area, and provide a healthy balance with larger branded shops.

“It’s also a chance for us to engage with people in the area and show what we are about,” he said.

“It’s not about massive discounts, but about raising the profile of small businesses and helping them keep their heads above water.”