Police Appeal for Witnesses after Student Assaulted on Campus

Police and the University advise students to be careful after an attack on a female student near campus

Police officers are appealing for information after a female student was assaulted near to campus on Thursday 6 December at 11:40pm.

The incident took place on a footpath running through campus, close to the junction between Bluebell Road and North Park Avenue. The 21-year-old victim was walking along the path when she was grabbed from behind by an unknown male. The victim fell to the ground but managed to struggle free.

The male was described as being of stocky build around 5ft 8in tall and as wearing a metallic blue long sleeved puffa-style jacket with the hood up.
Detectives would like to speak to anyone who believes they may have spotted a male matching such a description in the area.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Detective Constable John Waterman at Norfolk Constabulary on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

The University has responded to the incident by advising students to take care whilst walking alone at night and to stick to main roads if possible. The Nightline service can be called if you believe you are being followed or are for any reason made to feel uncomfortable whilst on campus at night.

The Union of UEA students has advice which can be found http://www.ueastudent.com/image_uploads/advice_centre_leaflets/general_personal_safety.pdf