Should UEA have gender neutral toilets?

Verity Stone offers her opinion on whether UEA should have gender neutral toilets.

For those of you who aren’t aware, the Union Council at the UEA has sanctioned the need for gender neutral toilets in Union House. Is UEA ready for this?

It’s important, of course, to recognise that for many individuals, selecting a specific gender (in this case when going to the loo), can be an embarrassing and uncomfortable prospect.

As a university that respects and adheres to equality for all students, this is a definitely a leap in the right direction. Doing something as natural and everyday as this should never be a challenge, so why not pursue this goal when it will a) cut out the overwhelming awkwardness and b) not massively inconvenience or harm anyone else?

Since the publication of the report by the Union of UEA Students (UUEAS), which exposed the alarming fact that over fifty per cent of LGBT+ students did not reveal their sexuality to their team mates in sports clubs, it is clear that more has to be done to support our students.

In no way do I believe that it’s alright to constrain and pressurise individuals in any way, but my worry is the way other students might react to the existence of these toilets, and whether they would be taken advantage of. Of course, if the trial was implemented and went well without a substantial number of concerns and complaints, then why not spread it to the entire university?

It’s just a matter of whether childish people can deal with this, especially when under the influence of alcohol. But perhaps this is yet another well-needed kick to get us up to date with the 21st Century.

What do you think?