THE TAB TRIES: ZUMBA

Whether you fancy yourself as the next Shakira or just want to burn some calories, then Zumba just may be the class for you …

I had never done Zumba before, apart from a brief go on the Wii on Boxing Day last year, which I hardly think counts, especially as I had the control sticking out of the pocket of my skinny jeans, meaning that the few moments I was even able to make weren’t picked up by the TV. Needless to say, my score was rubbish and I’d decided that Zumba was not one of my skill sets.

But with my friend Ruth in tow for moral support, on Friday evening I went along to my first ever Zumba class, or, as the Sportspark receptionist referred to it, ‘Latin Dance Aerobics’. There were a variety of ages – Ruth and I made friends with a lady in her 40s who we were hiding behind at the back of the class – but mostly students, all of whom were female.

Without so much as a hi and hello the class got into full swing, with the routines become increasingly complicated and fast paced. I definitely made a bit of a fool of myself in not being able to keep up – the instructor would change moves at lightning speed, and I think it would take a couple of classes before you would be able to remember what was coming next. However, as the instructor was friendly and I had Ruth to laugh with (not to mention that several other people were in the same situation) I didn’t feel embarrassed.

However, if you are on the shy and retiring side then this is probably not the one for you, as hip wiggling, body ripples and running your hands up and down your body played a prominent part in the class.

Other moves including the kind of shimmying you don’t usually see outside of the LCR dance floor, and one girl had stopped doing half the moves by the time we reached the end. But if you’re willing to not take yourself too seriously then the class is enjoyable and rewarding.

Zumba proved to be a great work out, with lots of jumping about, not to mention a million mambo steps, to get you sweating. The soundtrack of club anthems definitely helped, and I have to admit to singing along (under my breath mind you) to Jennifer Lopez’s ‘On the Floor’ and the cool down track of ‘Stand by Me’.

So if you’re looking for a more care free and foot loose version of Aerobics, that’s a bit easier going but still gets the heart racing, not to mention the chance to dance like no one’s watching, then Zumba is the class for you.

For information on all Sportspark Zumba classes visit http://sportspark.co.uk/activities-sports/aerobics-dance/