Head of the Press Complaints Commission gives Post-Leveson talk at UEA

The head of the PCC visits UEA to offer his take on the Leveson Report.

Lord David Hunt, Chairman of the Press Complaints Commission, gave his reaction to the Leveson report to a crowded Thomas Paine Lecture Theatre yesterday.

Lord Hunt travelled immediately from London to UEA yesterday afternoon after appearing on the national news following Lord Justice Leveson’s speech, during which Lord Hunt’s proposals for press regulation were compared to the industry “marking its own homework”.

Lord Hunt, who opened his address by telling the audience he is “One of three ministers who survived Margaret Thatcher”, gave his response to the publication of the report into the culture of the British Press. He called for a contractual approach to regulating the press and spoke out against changes to the law having a role in the process. He said he “did not agree with all Leveson’s conclusions”.

The meeting was chaired by former home secretary and Norwich Labour MP Charles Clarke. Clarke will give evidence against former editor of The News of The World Andy Coulson in September 2013, who stands accused of hacking his phone.

Lord David Hunt and Charles Clarke pose for The Tab…

Chummily referring to Lord Justice Leveson as “Brian Leveson” throughout the lecture, Lond Hunt recounted his experiences of being at school with the judge, where he said that “Leveson called me sir”. He also told the audience that during the press inquiry Leveson said he had “no recollection” of them being fellow pupils.

The head of the PCC spoke in support of the Leveson report and said “It is now time for professional autonomy to give way to accountability”. Referring to the “responsible exercise of free speech” he suggested the “establishment of a code” in regulation of the media but questioned what sort of message it would send if Britain established a “press law”.

Lord Hunt was grilled by students, professors and members of the public who asked questions on a range of topics including the media’s treatment of women, the state of the BBC and the control of social media. Lord Hunt admitted to being “concerned about the BBC”.

One member of the audience questioned how effective Lord Hunt’s ideas on regulating the press will be, saying: “Lord Murdoch has a lot more control over what goes on in this country than anyone in the House of Lords”

Another member of the public struck a more pointed blow and said, “The PCC hasn’t really got a very good record of doing anything to control the media in this country” to which Lord Hunt responded, “How on earth can you criticise the PCC for not exercising powers it never had in the first place?”

The Tab spoke to Labour Candidate for Norwich North Jess Asato who asked a question about the way women are presented in the media. She told us she has already signed up to a campaign popular with the UEA Feminism Society, ‘No More Page 3’.

On Lord Hunt’s talk she said, “I wasn’t convinced of his arguments against legislation.”

“How do we expect all the papers and magazines to actually sign up [to be regulated non-legislatively] and how do we sanction them if their transgressions do not fall outside the law?”

It seems Lord David Hunt had more success than most lecturers in helping students resist the usual sleepiness induced by the comfortable Thomas Paine building. But what is your opinion on his views on press regulation? Have your say in the comments box below.