Should there be a coffee machine in the library?

Verity Stone argues the case for a coffee machine in the UEA library.

For those of us who no longer have the pleasure of being first-years, the UEA Library is as much of a second home as it is the bane of our lives.

At your leisure you can chat, eat, chat some more, and when you finally decide you need some peace and quiet you can quite happily move up a floor to get some long-awaited work done. There’s only one problem – a lack of coffee.

Yes, we’re bombarded with the availability of coffee on campus, but I’m not focusing on during the day through a lunch period – I’m talking about all those poor night owls out there who are forced to endure a hectic study session late at night, unable to get their hands on any brain-juice.

You might say “just bring your own”, but what about when you live a fair distance away? There’s only so much coffee you can tuck into your bag!

I’m not a coffee addict; the most I have is two cups in a day, but without that bit of a kick, especially during a late night with a deadline to worry about, I honestly don’t know what I’d do.

Whatever your stimulant, whether it’s coffee or tea, you should be able to get your hands on it, even after all the shops and cafés close. It’s not an effort to promote bad habits; it’s an effort to promote a nice hot cuppa when you really and truly need it.

This wouldn’t just be a benefit for us, but think of the profits the university would make! Even during the day it would be beneficial for us, because you wouldn’t even need to leave the building.

So should there be a coffee machine in the UEA Library? Well, why not at least try it out? The worst that could happen is that they never get used. However, I doubt that would ever be the case whilst the coexistence of hangovers, the willingness to meet a deadline and the need to achieve that high grade persists.