The Sporting Weekly

Find out the weekly sporting news from UEA.

The Results

The majority of BUCS matches last Wednesday were cup fixtures. Men’s Badminton 1st’s stormed to an 8-0 win over Leicester on home turf. The Men’s Football 1st’s will be disappointed to have fallen at the first hurdle against Bedford 3rd’s, losing 1-0 after coming into the game on good form. This was the only loss at UEA, with the Women’s Football 1st’s 11-0 over Luton the pick of the bunch.

On their travels the Men’s Basketball 1st’s found Anglia Ruskin 1st’s too strong, losing 34-70. The Men’s Tennis 1st’s faced the daunting task of playing Cambridge in the cup and were well beaten 12-0.

The News

Derby Day has been announced. It will take place on the 13th of March next year and The Tab look forward to providing coverage of the big day. Strong early season form from the likes of the Lacrosse, Table Tennis and Football side’s can hopefully make the day against Essex a success.

A new event named ‘BUCS Big Wednesday’ is to take place on the 20th of March 2013. It will be held at Leeds Metropolitan University and the BUCS site says it ‘will bring together 14 university team sport championship final matches all in one day at one venue’. Teams from UEA will be hoping to represent the university next spring.

As winter starts to really make its presence felt so do the waterlogged pitches. A number of matches this week have been rescheduled or changed to another venue. We hope no UEA side has the frustration of travelling to Sheffield only to realise their game is called off.

The Quote

Jake Lamotta-

“The three toughest fighters I’ve ever been up against were Sugar Ray Robinson, Sugar Ray Robinson, and Sugar Ray Robinson. I fought Sugar so many times, I’m surprised I’m not diabetic!”

The Injury

Broken Collarbone- Collarbone breaks are frustrating and more common than you think. Certain sports like Rugby and Cycling are accustomed to some nasty falls. A collarbone break can be deceptive, at worst you won’t be able to move your arm but quite often you’ll dismiss a mild break as bruising. If you have a fall and your collarbone hurts go and get an x-ray.

Recovery time is around 12 weeks but can be longer. With your arm in a sling for most of this period collarbone injuries can be infuriating and limit activities, trust me.  

What to watch

November 24th-27th, 2nd Test Mumbai: England’s cricketing credentials last week were nowhere near the standard they’ve reached in the last few years. India are notoriously difficult to beat on home soil but Alistair Cook looks like he is close to finding some form. Tune in to see some high quality cricket.

November 24th-25th, The Premier League: Some huge games await this weekend. QPR travel to Old Trafford this Saturday. It’s a game which could determine Mark Hughes managerial future. With Di Matteo having his bags swiftly packed Chelsea take on Man City on Sunday, it should be a cracker.

November 25th, The Brazilian Grand Prix: With essays piling up no one’s expecting you to tune in to the rather tedious qualifying but if you have time catch the race. Brazil is always exciting and rain is predicted this weekend. It’s the final race and the title decider, Alonso or Vettal will walk away champion.