Review: Dodger’s Comedy Club

Jake Steers reviews the Dodger’s Comedy Club in Norwich.

The Dodger’s Comedy Club showcases the best acts from Norfolk and beyond! Nathan Willcock’s has built this club from the ground and it is starting to take shape as one of the best comedy venues in Norwich.

It is a monthly event that hosts local talent such as students from UEA Headlights Comedy Society and acts from across the country. I attended the 8th November Comedy event at the Olives in Norwich.

Nathan was the host for the evening, his interaction with the crowd had them in stitches with his kissing technique – “My kissing technique is similar to a deranged apple bobber” and if you ever have the chance to meet this comic, never ask him about what documentaries he watches in his spare time… With two minutes, he managed to interact with the crowd and warmed them up for the first act – David Seymour.

David Seymour is a UEA student and is one of the best comics around, I have seen him perform several times and in the past few months he has really improved. From his character-based jokes to his one liners he really does have the potential to go far.

His ability to question members from the audience and make jokes up on the spot regarding their lifestyle shows that he has managed to develop his comedy set for the better. If you have not seen him before, I urge yourself to see his next gig, you will not be disappointed.

Sarah Arnold, a graduate from UEA is a committed comedienne who has the capability to project her failures in life into a comical situation. The day her life changed was when a local man from Norwich called her a failure whilst in a kebab shop in the early hours of the morning whilst holding a pita and a dog in the same hand.

If her struggle to find acceptance from a disturbed local does not have you in stitches then her comparisons between Josef Fritzel and Shakaria will. Sarah is a bright young comic, who has the world at her feet.

Harriet Kemsley, the girl from Canterbury who lives in Hackney that has an irrational fear of being peed on by a rhino. This peculiar comic was great; her mannerism was similar to Milton Jones.

There is a debate that there is not enough good female comics around, but this is about to change, Harriet has already achieved so much in the past 12 months, such as: Brighton New Act of the Year Winner 2012, Rhod Gilbert’s Top Ten Comics to See in 2012, Mail on Sunday and Funny’s Funny Winner 2011. Watch out for her in the forthcoming years!

The final act of the evening, Amused Moose Laugh Off Finalist Paul Duncan McGarrity wrapped up the evening of wonderful comedy with comical insights to his life as a northerner living in London.

Unfortunately for him, he chose his career (Archaeology) after watching Indiana Jones, which is a warning to all of you, do not choose your career on a film. Although a new career for him could be lap dancing.

After seeing him lapdance I was questioning whether if I was a comedy gig or a seedy burlesque event. McGarrity was fantastic comic, with great impressions of the London stereotypes.

This comedy event was only £4 and to see rising comedians and comediennes of a good standard was brilliant.

It was a steal to see great comedy at such a low price. I recommend seeing this, the next one is on the 6th of December, come down if you are feeling stressed due to coursework or exams and want to watch some top notch comedy. You can find them on Facebook – Norwich Comedy or you can join their mailing list: [email protected]