Tab tries Pole Dancing

Amy Cullen tells The Tab why we should forget our Pole Dancing prejudices.

There has been a recent call to establish a conceptual separation between pole dancing and stripping. Unfortunately, the stigma is there. When an ordinary person hears “pole dancing” or “pole fitness” it is likely that the first thought which comes to mind is “taking off clothes for money”. This is not the case.

Gone are the days of “strippers” dominating poles, as an unprecedented number of pole dancing classes are offered around the world, even in our very own backyard, UEA! So what makes this type of pole dancing so different?

The atmosphere of a strip club is very different from that of a dance studio. You are definitely not required to strip in a dance studio, although it is important that certain parts of your body are bare so that you are able to grip to the pole.

Pole dancing in this sense involves an extensive syllabus of athletic moves such as holds, spins, climbs, shoulder mounts and inverts (to name a few) which determine your level of ability, whether it be beginners, intermediate or advanced. Not only do these moves require upper body strength, core strength and rigorous training, they also require grace, elegance and poise. For this reason, it bothers me that pole dancing is considered by many as a less worthy form of art.

Pole dancing is also a unique and exciting workout. It involves cardio, flexibility, resistance training, stability, coordination and… toning! I left my first pole dancing lesson feeling extremely sore in muscles I never even knew I had.

I think many men and women feel intimidated, usually as a result of the stigma attached to pole dancing, so they are reluctant to try it. They do not realise that any person can do it, no matter what their sex, size, shape or ability. We were all beginners once!

I guarantee that you will leave a pole dancing class with a heightened self-esteem, confidence and athleticism without taking your clothes off. Although, it would be remiss of me not to mention the bruising that soon follows. So wear them with pride!

We are lucky enough to possess our very own sports club at UEA dedicated to pole dancing. Weekly lessons are taught by a qualified pole dance instructor and all lessons are aimed at ensuring a fun, relaxed and supportive environment. The committee are extremely welcoming, enthusiastic and devoted to their club. They encourage all members to attend the various socials throughout the year, which have a “legendary status at UEA”. They also encourage both sexes to participate, there is no prejudice! The club currently has five male members. Most importantly, we do not prance around a pole for money!

Take a look at their site to see what all the hype is about!

If my illustration so far has not invoked a hungry curiosity in you, what if I were to guarantee you that your body will become so flexible, even a pretzel will be jealous of you! Most importantly, think about all of the warm hearted and wonderful friendships you will make in class while working up a healthy sweat in your knickers!