Charity Shop Challenge

Feeling broke? We found these stylish bargains in a 30 minute whistle-stop tour of two Norwich charity shops.

Earlier in the term The Tab showed you how to shop for stylish vintage bargains with our top picks from Norwich Vintage Fair. But, the weeks have rolled on and chances are that your funds will be looking worryingly thin right about now (bring on January’s cash injection).

It’s sad but true, those vintage store ‘bargains’ might seem increasingly out of your loan’s range. But never fear, if you’re prepared to get your hands dirty for a fashionable new addition to your wardrobe, then enter the world of charity shopping.

Keeping an open mind is key, (it’s helpful if you’re already an accustomed vintage shopper), but on-trend garments are there, often for under a fiver, and with added social conscience.

We spent half an hour in two city centre charity shops, British Heart Foundation on London Street and Arthritis Research UK on Upper Goat Lane Here are some of our stylish finds:

£3.99 from British Heart Foundation

Silk scarves and pastel blouses might be your great aunt’s faves, but they’re on trend at the mo. Get some authentic granny chic down at your local charity shop.

£4.99 from British Heart Foundation

£3.99 from Arthritis Research UK

Like this animal print blouse (below), some pieces you’ll really have to make your own, but we thought it had a certain eighties charm if you’ve got the courage and the hipster wardrobe to match.

£3.99 from British Heart Foundation

Cute on-trend flippy skirt, £5.99 from British Heart Foundation

£19.99 from Arthritis Research UK

Guys, take your pick from the dozens of ‘country gent’ jackets on offer at unbelievable prices. The wax jacket (above) struck us as ‘Barbour’-esque, and we saw similar raincoats to the anorak below in nearby trendy men’s boutique Sevenwolves.

£3.99 from British Heart Foundation

£3.99 from British Heart Foundation

£25 on the highstreet vs. £3.99 for a good cause. It seems a faux-fur collar is essential coat decoration this winter, and we found loads for sale cheaper in the charity shops.

£5.99 from Arthritis Research UK

Just like vintage outlets, there’s plenty of low-cost oversized knitwear to be had here.