Port Isla: Norfolk’s Next Big Thing

Benjamin Taylor talks to you about what he believes to be the most exciting band in Norwich right now.

The city’s music scene is often the subject of mockery, particularly from the ivory tower of London, where you will find the headquarters of most sizeable music magazines and newspapers. However, a stroll through Norwich town centre will most likely result in you passing at least one busker and a handful of varied and unique venues for live music. Norwich needs a landmark act to put it on the map, musically. Step forward, Port Isla.

The four-piece, three of whom are in their final year studying music at UEA, claim to walk the “middle ground” between folk and pop. “We’re geeks”, says frontman Will Bloomfield, a bearded, well-dressed 20-year old responsible for most of the songwriting. “As music students, we pretty much like everything”, he says, before explaining his soft spot for pop music and “a good chorus”. “I don’t like the assumption that a true music lover should hate pop music; it’s not necessarily the case”.

As far as influences go, a browse of their Soundcloud page will reveal much. Classic acts such as Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young and the Beach Boys play a major role, as well as modern folk like Fleet Foxes. The “anthemic”, poppy structure that multi-instrumentalist Henry Kilmister describes comes from a deep respect for Coldplay and the songwriting of Chris Martin. The result is a sound that involves “dressing up pop songs like folk”. It’s a clever tactic, and may well hold the key to the boys’ success.

In fact, a considerable amount of success has already been garnered. Will and Henry, joined by bandmates Stanley Spilman and Will Olenski, stormed to victory in Norfolk battle-of-the-bands event ‘Rocket from the East’ in 2011 and earned themselves a spot at PlayFest 2012, a Norfolk festival headlined by Feeder. “It was a bit of a blur”, admits Will, before Henry adds, with a cheeky smile, “it was pissing it down and there was a less than capacity crowd, but it was still a great experience”. The win also gained the band free studio time, which in turn resulted in radio airplay and sessions for BBC Radio Norfolk and Suffolk.

On top of this, the band enjoyed a trip to Hamburg this summer where they played the Reeperbahn festival. “It was essentially a band holiday”, the boys admit, before praising the “responsive German crowds”. “It was an adventure”, they eventually agree.

Port Isla – Sinking Ship

The band are coy on their plans for the next few months, but they are determined to “stick in people’s heads” by gigging and releasing songs almost ceaselessly. New recordings are set to win them more radio airplay and, despite the constraints of their final year of study, they are planning a ‘kitchen tour’ of a selection of universities after Christmas, a process that they hope will increase their fanbase and reputation. And after university? “We’re gonna gun it”, they say. I don’t doubt it.

The band are looking forward to their single launch, for the stompy, energetic track ‘Sinking Ship’, on 15th November. “It’s our attempt at rock and roll”, says Henry; “it’s fun to play live and it’s got a bit of everything, it’s a good representation of us as a band.”

They both agree that “Norwich’s music scene is really good”, but what they perhaps don’t realise is that they can define it. “We believe we are the most outwardly ambitious band in Norwich”, says Will, confidently. Confidence, style, ambition and truck loads of talent. Watch out, Norwich – Port Isla are on the up.