Jane Eyre at the UEA

The University of East Anglia’s third year Drama students are proud to present a unique two-part adaptation of Charlotte Brontë’s ‘Jane Eyre’ this December.

Reinventing traditional ‘period drama’, this large ensemble cast brings together original music, dance and a brand new script to produce a chillingly dark adaptation of the classic tale. Each volume- although half of a whole- stands apart to show different aspects of Jane’s journey; creating two new plays, unmissable viewed together or alone.

Volume I follows Jane Eyre, a young girl who comes from nothing but wants to seize all that life can offer. Surviving her bleak childhood through strength, determination and a keen spirit, Jane begins working as a Governess at the mysterious Thornfield Hall. Here she finds the love and comfort she had always longed for in the shape of her master, Mr Rochester. But Thornfield hides a dark secret and Jane is forced to choose between her beliefs and her chance of happiness.

Volume II is the story of a traumatised Jane found homeless and vagrant, wandering across the moors and trying to run away from her troubled past. Heartbroken and alone, she stumbles across the Rivers’ house where she attempts to forget the love she has lost and the pain she has suffered. But what is it that happened at Thornfield? Who is this character, St John, who appears to have such an interest in Jane? And will she ever find a way to be reunited with her true love?

Directors Holly Maples and Sophie Vaughan say: “We want people to be on the edge of their seats. We have tried to create an experiential play, where the audience enter Jane’s world, where they feel her fear and her sadness. The novel was considered so shocking at the time we wanted to discover how to instil the controversy in a society that is now so difficult to shock.”`

Ranked as the top University Drama programme in The Guardian’s 2012 University Guide, this is a unique opportunity to see the next generation of young performers. Graduates of the UEA Drama course include, Matt Smith (Doctor Who), Greg James (BBC Radio 1), Deborah Bruce (director at Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre), Oscar-nominated screenwriter Tom Bidwell and most recently Matt Milne (War Horse and Downton Abbey).

The show will run from the 4th-8th December with the following schedule:

4th December- 7:30pm – VOLUME I                           5th December-7:30pm   -VOLUME II

6th December-7:30pm-   VOLUMEI                            7th December- 7:30pm- VOLUME II

8th December- 2:00pm -VOLUME I                            8th December- 7:30pm – VOLUME II

To find out more about the production and follow the journey of its creation from page to stage, please visit our website www.janeeyreproduction.com, follow us on twitter @JaneEyreProd or like us on Facebook at facebook.com/JaneEyreProduction.

Tickets, priced at £6 or £4 for concessions, are available from the UEA Box Office on 01603 508050 or visit www.ueaticketbookings.co.uk.