UEA battle for a point

UEA 1-1 Bedford 2nd: UEA earn a hard fought point to remain unbeaten this season.

The Yellows were looking to make it three wins from three in the BUCS league but found themselves up against a resolute Bedford side.

It was the away side making most of the early running, creating opportunities down both wings and showing themselves to be very capable in possession.

UEA’s first effort on target came from a corner, Bacon did well to connect with a volley only to see it go safely into the keeper’s hands.

Bedford continued to create and twice in quick succession Savage in the UEA goal was called upon to keep out stinging efforts.

It had been a pretty sluggish first half an hour for UEA but they came close to opening the scoring through Blackwell. The away keeper failed to deal with a high ball from Beeson spilling into the path of Blackwell who saw his shot blocked on the line.

However a minute later UEA were one down to a scrappy goal, a combination of keeper and defence failed to deal with a ball across the face of goal which was eventually bundled in at the back post.

Two minutes later it could and should have been two for the away side. Some neat interchanges down the left resulted in a teasing cross that was met by the goal scorer only to see his header drift wide when it looked easier to score.

UEA nearly got in again just before the break, Scott controlled superbly from the goal kick and looked to set Blackwell away but his run was stopped by an excellent last ditch tackle.

It was a pretty tight first half with the away side looking more competent on the ball, UEA had not got into their passing rhythm.

Into the second half UEA started on the front foot and got the early breakthrough they required. An excellent Hastings free kick from the left was headed home by Chapman to get the Yellows back on level terms.

There was a scare shortly after though for UEA as a Bedford free kick clipped the bar. As the half progressed UEA were beginning to knock the ball around to more effect with both sides displaying some tidy football.

Both teams had opportunities to take all three points heading into the final minutes. First for UEA as Chapman was picked out unmarked at the far post but put his effort wide of the post from close range.

At the other end it was Bedford’s turn to try and snatch a late winner. A dangerous corner was fired towards goal forcing Savage into a fine point-blank range save.

Neither side could find the winner and they shared the points with a draw looking a fair result. It was UEA’s first dropped points of the BUCS campaign but it seems a decent point against good opposition. The Yellows now look forward to the Cyrill Ballyn Cup quarter-final on Saturday.