The Curse Of The Student Discount

Bargain or Bad Influence?

You’re in Topshop when you should really be doing your essay, again. It’s just for a quick look, some window shopping to take your mind off of the stresses of academia.

You can’t afford to spend £40 on another cardigan. You’re a student living on a loan with food to buy and rent to pay. But wait, Topshop offer student discount, you can afford the cardigan- hurrah!

Sound familiar?

This was my day yesterday, and it has been my day many times before. And it wasn’t just Topshop. New Look, Miss Selfridge and Dune were all offering me goodies at reduced student prices that I just could not resist. But was I really getting a bargain?

‘Confessions of a Shopaholic’…fitting.

With NUS student discount being just 10% at with most retailers, this small reduction doesn’t make much difference in the grand scheme of things.

That said, it appears I lose all mathematic ability when faced with an overpriced cardie, and convince myself that 10% off is just too good to miss.

I’m not alone in my illogical shopping. Countless times I’ve been shopping with friends who have encouraged my shopping habit with ‘it won’t be too much once you take off the student discount.’

Us students seem to live in a world when money isn’t “real”. My loan comes in and I think I’m minted, it’s like monopoly money- I forget that in the long run, I’ve got to pay it back.

I’m not denying that student discount can be great, especially when it takes money off of items you actually need. To kick my abuse of the student discount, I’m going to apply the same mentality that I force myself into at the Christmas sales: If you wouldn’t buy it full price, you probably shouldn’t buy it.

I should also mention that my mad shopping spree was a trip with birthday money that just went too far. Thankfully I will still be able to pay my rent…it’ll just be a month of pack lunches for me.

To make the most your student discount the right way in Norwich, these are some handy places that offer student discount:

-The Langtry Pub

This pub on Unthank Road is on the doorstep for many second and third year students. 10% off.

-Freshair Hair Salon

On Avenue Road, this local salon offers 10% student discount, and they’re lovely! Everyone needs a haircut at some point.

-The Waffle House

Dozens of topping varieties on waffles! I love this place. I’d go there full price but with 10% student discount when you spend over £7 on one person, it’s even better.