The Tab talks to UEA Pool society

Following their recent particpation in the English Universities Pool championships, The Tab talked to UEA Pool society’s club president Charlie Nicholson

sport UEA Pool Union of UEA

UEA Pool club travelled to Nottingham on the 27th/28th of October to compete in the English Universities Pool Championships.

A 1st team consisting of Stephen Reeve (C), Charlie Nicholson, Chris Weaver, Neeraj Jaypul, Ross Ashby and Adam Green reached the quarter finals before losing in the play-offs.  Beating Imperial 1st’s along the way the team lost narrowly to Kent in a close encounter. Club captain Reeve impressed throughout, losing just one frame of seven in the team event.

The 2nd’s also made the quarter finals, but lost to Nottingham Trent 1st’s.  Neeraj Jaypul, Alex Hawkins, Tim James and Luke Emeny represented the university for the first time and looked assured at a competitive level.

All members entered the singles tournament, where three players reached the last 32 in what was a tough first round, against some high profile universities. Reeve played eventual winner Chris Hobbis of Nottingham. Although eventually losing 3-1 Reeve showed his talent with a break and clearance. The team’s general opinion was that enough potential was displayed to believe a strong BUCS performance is possible.

Club President Charlie Nicholson answered some questions regarding the club after the tournament.

When and where does the club train and how much does it cost to join?            We practice in the Red Bar on Wednesday afternoons, 2pm-7pm and on the Sunday evenings, 7pm-11pm of every odd term week. Sunday evenings of each even week we hold a tournament at Rileys in the city centre. It is only £10 to join. If a frame cost £1, you will have your money back within an hour or so!

What do you think pool offers which other sports do not?
We meet in the pub, which is something no other club can claim, and have a really relaxed atmosphere. You don’t have to be fit or train hard to enjoy yourself. We have a brilliant variety of regular socials, which are always worth going to.

Are you optimistic about your chances in tournaments this year?                        We have the BUCS Pool Championships which takes place at the end of February in Great Yarmouth. Plus Derby Day and the Chris Penn Trophy, played against ex-UEA Pool Club players. We’re hoping to make progress in these tournaments and if we perform well in the BUCS competition, we will be able to maintain our top division status for another year.

How many people are in the club currently and how many of these compete competitively?                                                                                                              We have over 60 paid members, of which 20-30 turn up on a regular basis. We have three teams of five players, so 15 players get the chance to play competitively.

What would you like to do to improve the club, do you feel the union give you sufficient funding to do so?                                                                                        We feel the Union gives us sufficient funding, through paying for transport, accommodation and team entries during the BUCS competition. We recently applied and received funding for two sets of new pool balls to use during practice.

Do those joining need to purchase equipment or is it provided?                             No one needs to buy any equipment to join, bar cues are provided. But if you’re interested in playing regularly it is a good idea to buy your own cue, which can cost anywhere between £20 and £200, depending on how much you’d like to spend.