Style on a Student Budget?

Is it possible to express your style within the confines of the student budget? Claire Kidman and Laura Ruiz battle it out.

For Claire Kidmanthe quest for style on a budget means a toss up between food and fashion:

Living on a student budget means what I buy, and where I buy it from, is hugely restricted. I can’t afford to swan around campus in Acne or Alexander McQueen, and I shop in Topshop rather than Selfridges.

Even that’s a challenge; a new pair of jeans and I’m living off vegetables for a week (although at least they’ll fit).

I don’t have a problem with bargain high street chains like Primark, they’re great for updating your style without slipping further into your overdraft, but I don’t want to wear it head-to-toe.

I made the mistake of attempting some budget fashion a few weeks ago and bought a pair of £15 jeans from H&M. I smugly walked past Topshop, safe in the knowledge that I could afford to eat proper food, but three days later the jeans ripped -unrelated to the food, I promise. Smugness? Gone.

I’m sure there are people reading this that can shop quite happily within their student budget.

Vintage and charity shops can be great for expressing your style cheaply, but whilst it works for some, it’s not for me. Beyond Retro, Rokit, the many vintage shops in Norwich; every time I emerge empty handed, depressed, and wondering why all vintage shops smell the same.

When at university I’m resigned to the fact that I have to work with what I already own, budgeting in the occasional new item from Zara or Topshop. Fashion and trends change quickly so keeping up with such a limited budget is impossible, but at least any new purchase is carefully considered.

None of this, however, is going to stop me from dreamily browsing Net-a-Porter; I might be a student now, but that McQueen dress will be mine one day.

decisions, decisions

Laura Ruiz tells us that budget style is all about creativity and strategy:

It is possible to get the look you desire with a student budget, but it’s all about knowing where to find what you want and being creative.

Our student loans or part-time jobs are not going to allow us to afford a Mulberry bag or a clutch from Alexander McQueen’s SS’12 collection. However, that doesn’t mean they can’t be an inspiration.

A vintage Chanel fur coat might cost £2000, but H&M sell similar for just £39.99, and Republic stock £12 replicas of a £1165 Alexander McQueen box clutch.

As you must’ve heard from a lot of your lecturers, you cannot produce a good piece of work without the right amount of research to back it up. It’s the same to achieve the style you want.

If you feel like the bargain shops don’t give you the inspiration to create those amazing looks you see in the magazines and shows, it’s always useful to visit blogs and fashion communities online.

Try ‘Lookbook.nu’ for ‘fashion inspiration from people all over the world’, and ‘Fashiolista’, a world fashion catalogue. Type any brand you like; it’ll come up with every single piece of clothes they’ve ever had on their website, like it, and compile your favourite clothing on your profile.

Once you’re inspired, it’s as simple as going shopping to the usual student places, finding those particular items you have in mind and putting them together!