Onesie Skydive for Charity

Students aim to raise big bucks by falling out of a plane

The sky is the limit for a group of UEA students hoping to raise money for charity.

Suzi Scott, James Colley, Yuri Hamilton, Scott Ranger and Mike Jones will be throwing themselves out of a plane at 12,000 feet – and if that isn’t enough, they’ll be wearing novelty ‘onesies’ while they do it.

Felix Baumgarter, eat your heart out.

Mike Jones, Yuri Hamilton, Suzi Scott and James Colley

Suzi, the founder and president of the university’s Skydiving Club, spoke to The Tab about this creative fundraising stunt.

“We thought the jump would be a fun way to raise money, a little bit quirky and different. We’re supporting a great organisation, so hopefully this will draw attention to their work.”

The group are skydiving in aid of Magpas, an emergency medical charity that serves the East of England. The organisation provides free frontline medical care, such as the Helimedix Teams that work to save lives at the roadside.

They are one of the leading providers for trauma care in the UK, and have attended over 60,000 patients since they were founded in 1971. They receive no government or National Lottery funding and rely wholly on generous donations from the public.

Magpas

“They help hundreds of people a year”, Suzi told The Tab. “The paramedics and doctors that help are all volunteers.”

Antonia Brickell, head of communications at the charity, described the fundraising challenge as “quite something, a courageous and flamboyant airborne extravaganza!

She said: “I think these five students are incredibly brave to do something like this, and they must also have a great sense of humour to wear comedy onesies!”

The dive is scheduled to take place over the last weekend in October. A cake sale is being held today in the Hive. To find out how to donate, email Suzi Scott, or visit Magpas website.

Suzi Scott, founder and president of the UEA Skydiving Club, in action