The Fashionable Gentleman’s Guide to Norwich Shopping

‘Fashionable gentleman’ Louis Shad gives us his tips on snapping up designer suits and moleskin jotters on Norwich’s high street.

Norwich city centre offers many a shopping opportunity for the fashion conscious male.

‘Hatters’ on White Lion St.

If you’re feeling formal, you can go to Chadd, Hatters or Jonathan Trumbull, although your bank account may not thank you for it. (Last summer I was sorely tempted by a pair of D&G shoes from Trumbull, before realising a deposit for a mid-sized house was cheaper!)

Trumbull do a wide variety of items ranging from Armani Exchange jeans and tees in the less formal downstairs section, to high-end Armani suits upstairs. It’s great to just look around and get an idea for current trends, even if the prices are a bit beyond the average student budget.

‘Jonathan Trumbull’ on St. Stephens St.

These shops aside, you really don’t need much money to dress well in Norwich.

T.K. Maxx in the Castle Mall has a lot to offer most of the time. Though it’s always worth checking both T.K. Maxx stores if there’s something in particular you’re looking for (the other one is just off Westwick Street, on the same lot as Toys ‘R’ Us).

At the moment they have a huge range of Russell Athletic jogging bottoms, which are the comfiest you can buy for under £30. They also have some sumptuous Paul Costelloe and Patrick Cox suits for around £100; ridiculous value when you consider the retail price is normally around £300-500.

Avoid stores like M&S and John Lewis, for the simple reason that Debenhams menswear is so much better, with a wider range of outfits to choose from.

It’s also great for ‘successories’, like the Jasper Conran leather bound planners, journals, and moleskin jotters, amongst other things. They also do a lovely selection of manbags and laptop/notebook/iPad cases, all for a lot less than you might think.

The Ralph Lauren section of House of Fraser and the Jack Wills store should also be avoided like the plague out of sale season, unless you have ready access to your ‘Bank of Mum and Dad’, in which case, go nuts!

In fairness you can buy most Ralph Lauren stuff a lot cheaper online. It might be wise then to see what you like in House of Fraser, try it on, then buy it online elsewhere.

Two Pierre Cardin dinner suits, just £70 at ‘Antidote’.

Finally for those that like the fashions of bygone eras, there are quite a few vintage shops with great menswear sections, the names and locations of which can be found on the ‘Vintage Norwich’ website.

But to save you some time, my personal favourite is Antidote on Upper St. Giles. I managed to get two Pierre Cardin dinner suits, (yes, two whole suits) two dress shirts and a cummerbund for the not so princely sum of £70. Very handy for when you get invited to a ball, and need a choice of dinner suits last minute.

Also Louis’s Cafe is right opposite so that’s lunch sorted as well!