Very Vintage Norwich

Helena Raywood talks us through Norwich’s thriving vintage scene.

If you’ve ever found yourself wandering down the high street, gazing into windows full of glamorous looking clothes and thinking ‘it’s just lacking that certain je ne sais quoi…’ then let me tempt you into the never ending delights of vintage shopping.

Adding a little bit of vintage into the mix can often take an outfit from nice to outstanding, trust me, the right pieces will have everyone asking ‘just where did you get it?!’

Luckily, Norwich is a fantastic place to shop for vintage, in fact, many people come to Norwich with the sole purpose of touring the vintage shops. So, to get you started, here are a few shops that I recommend you visit:

‘Goldfinches’ stocks student favourite, cut-off denim, in large supply.

Goldfinches is a lovely little shop run by two sisters and their mum. It has both men and women’s clothing and is particularly popular with students due to its large supply of cut off denim jeans and sequined disco tops. It stocks dresses from the 30’s onwards and has prices ranging from a reasonable £18 for an original 60’s mini-dress to £80 for a 1980s Valentino day dress.

Pick up a delicate 50’s dress from ‘Goldfinches’.

What Goldfinches really stands out for, although the clothes are gorgeous, is it’s unrivalled selection of jewellery and accessories. On every surface there are bags, gloves, belts and jewels, most of them under £20, making it a one-stop-shop for birthdays (or Christmas!).

Bargain but beautiful: Clutches at ‘Goldfinches’

Prim, just round the corner from Goldfinches, is the longest running vintage clothes shop in Norwich. The shop is a joy to browse in, light and spacious, with carefully selected stock in brilliant condition displayed clearly and accessibly. It feels much more like a boutique than some of the more jumble sale-esque vintage stores out there.

Here you can find a sumptuous selection of dresses in all shapes and sizes, and they have a particularly impressive array of 1930s and 40’s dresses, which are famously hard to come by in good condition!

Not to be overlooked, however is their wide selection of bags, silk scarves and vintage separates. They also have menswear downstairs.

My personal favourite is Antidote, a very small shop, hidden away on Upper St Giles Street. The shop itself is marvellous; it has original dark wood shop fittings behind the till.

Head off the high street for ‘Antidote’, on Upper St. Giles St.

Here you never quite know what you’re going to find. They have menswear and womenswear and a small selection of jewellery and accessories. I have found luxurious vintage evening gowns, 1970s peasant blouses and 50’s cardies, all at very reasonable prices (think £12 for a blouse, £40 for a long 80’s dress).

‘Vintage’, tucked away by the Roman Catholic Cathedral.

I should also mention a fairly new addition to the Norwich vintage scene, Vintage, opposite the Roman Catholic Church, where you can find an eclectic selection of dresses, furs and hats, and vintage themed afternoon teas in the back room!

A customer goes all out in ‘Vintage’.

Finally, if you’re up for a bit of a rummage head to Looses. They’re an antique indoor market, but have some clothes in amongst everything else. I’ve occasionally stumbled across some gems (and they’re usually real bargains!) although you do have to look quite hard…

Now you know all the best vintage spots in Norwich, take a look at our tips on the best vintage purchases from Norwich Vintage Fair.